day 2 post op

Ugh7699
on 6/30/17 5:04 am

Surgery was Wednesday morning and I went home Thursday evening. Wow but i guess i wasn't really prepared for the amount of pain. Every time i swallow i have a pain in my stomach. my doctor says it is because of irritation, the guide that he uses to make the cut. Says it should diminish with time. Moving around doesn't hurt too much. I have decided to just take it one day at a time.

Mary S.
on 6/30/17 5:38 am - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
Sounds like you are right on track, keep walking as much as possible. Did they tell not to use a straw, adds to the gas. For me, I had to do tiny sips for the first month. Gulping water was not possible. So I took a 2 oz cup from the hospital, filled it and drank 2 ounces every 15 minutes, (Set the timer on my phone) and that's how I was able to get my water in. Best of luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

Amalilly
on 6/30/17 11:06 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 05/23/17

It gets better and it gets worse. As your body heals and adjusts there are times when you feel wonderful and times while the scar tissue is forming that hurt like hell.

There are times when you'll be nauseous and times when you'll 'blurp' (my new word for throwing up).

You will be weak and tired and then be full of energy and want to do everything.

It is wonderfully exciting and terribly frustrating as you learn how to eat and drink, what to eat, how often and in what amounts.

I am now 37 days post op and only in the last three days have I had my nausea under control and been pain free when I eat.

Your throat might be tender and your voice rough for a few more days if you were intubated (breathing tube).

Already I know it was the right decision and would do it again. I walked for the first time yesterday (instead of using the wheelchair). I stood to prepare my meals. I hand-washed the dishes and cleaned the bedroom... small things to most everyone but I've been so 'disabled' that I'd not been able to do any of these things 6 weeks ago. I can do them today. I have done them today.

Weights: HW 370, SW 336, GW 180 (fantasy 145), CW 268.1 (pre surgery -34, M1- 26, M2- 16)
Dates: Referral - Aug 26, 2015, Info Class - Dec 4, Optifast - May 2nd, 2017, Surgery - May 23rd

Surgeon: Dr. J.D. Yelle, Ottawa, ON

Most Active
Recent Topics