4 Days out from Operation

ShirlAus
on 6/29/17 3:26 am
VSG on 06/26/17

Well here I am - Day four and came home yesterday from Hospital. They gave me the choice to stay another night but I find being at home more restful.

I completed by 2 week pre op diet - non liquid. Start weight 255.2 lbs and was down to 239.8 by the morning of the surgery. Though I had done a lot of preparation, reading etc and expected to feel anxiety which I did. The hospital staff were amazing. My surgeon came to see me in pre op bay and I knew I had made the right choice. I was in surgery by 8.30am and back in my room by noon. I experienced quite a bit of pain in recovery - this was quickly brought under control. I think a major part of this was that due to my history of DVT and PE my stomach was stapled but also stitched to reduce the risk of complications.

I had prepared for a pretty rough day and ended up having 2 lots of morphine for the pain. This made me very nauseous. The nurses quickly brought that under control. I had a lot of gas and was hiccuping etc. This was by far the worst and by the morning I felt a lot better. Was able to get up and shower and spend time sitting up in a chair. I waited for my husband to come in that evening till I started my walking. Which as everyone says helps a lot with getting rid of the gas.

I started a clear fluid diet on Tuesday and struggled to get the sweet protein drinks down. A huge reason for me not doing the liquid pre op diet. I had heartburn which again is normal. Each day of healing means I can get closer to my goal of 1 -1.5 litres a day. Yesterday was 640ml and today I am nearly double that. I am continually sipping when not sleeping.

Pain is being kept under control with paracetomol and stronger when needed - normally 1 - 2 times daily.

Today has been an exceptionally hard day with a call at 6.30am advising me that my best friend had lost his battle with cancer. I am completely devastated and its been a very hard day. He called me last night briefly to check on me - he has been one of my biggest supports in coming to the decision to have a sleeve. I am still sitting here in disbelief but I am more determined than ever to give this my everything. I know he will be with me as I continue.

I expect that next week will be a 3 hr plane trip to assist his parents arrange his funeral. My husband will be coming with me - so will be able to assist me on and off the plane etc. I am hopeful that I continue to heal at the same rate and can be a big support to them in anything they need. We have been friends for 43 years so they as a family mean the world to me.

Heres to my first tenative steps onto the loosers bench and the beginning of the new healthier me

Shirley

Australia

SallyCat
on 6/29/17 5:59 am
VSG on 10/17/16

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry for your loss, but am happy for you that you got to speak with him. And you're right... you can carry him with you on this journey. Hugs.

Congratulations on your surgery. I had a rough go too, but am very happy I made the decision. Good luck to you.

HW: 375 SW: 282 CW: 167 GW: 159

spedmom111
on 6/29/17 11:29 am
VSG on 07/05/17

I am sorry to hear about your friend, you are doing great!!!

ShirlAus
on 7/2/17 6:47 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks SallyCat - I appreciate it

Apologises for the late reply - I have not been cleared to fly so have been dealing with not being able to pay tribute to my friend. Hard week and Im glad its behind me. Have just written up a tribute to be read at his funeral on Wednesday

Hope you continue to do well :)

CC C.
on 6/29/17 6:22 am

My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. What a gift that you got to speak with him. Take care of yourself!

ShirlAus
on 7/2/17 6:48 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks Cecily C - I appreciate it

Gwen M.
on 6/29/17 7:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm so sorry for the death of your friend, but glad your surgery went well.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ShirlAus
on 7/2/17 6:48 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Thanks Gwen - Much appreciated

SassyGirlTN
on 6/29/17 9:04 am

I'm curious to see what you did pre-op that was non-liquid. Would you mind sharing what you ate?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad you were able to speak with him.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Start of liquid diet: 275.4

Surgery date - 2.13.18!!!

ShirlAus
on 7/2/17 6:49 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Hi Sassy

No worries

BF: Wholegrain toast with poached egg

S: Apple

Lunch and Dinner - was 150gm lean protein with salad or veg - no starchy veg like potato, corn, peas etc

Shirley :)

Most Active
Recent Topics