Burning question about Bounce back Weight for VSG Alum

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/17 1:19 pm

80/20 did notwork for me either. To lose regain- I needed to do 95/5... to maintain - it is more like 85/15 or 90/10. And if I see a gain of 3-4 lbs .. I m back to 95/5. until I am at least 2-3 lbs lower than I need to be.

regain happens because we get tired of the diet, we relax what and how much we eat. We estimate, stop measuring our food , start maybe adding things here and there. like a glass of wine. or the extra bite of this or that. we stop weighing every day, or at least once a week.

as we age - our body changes - when we stop exercise - we start losing muscles, and replacing that with fat...for a while our weight may remain the same - but as we lose muscles -our calorie needs get smaller - so we can gain weight on less food/calories.

give it time - and dedication...once you get to your personal goal - you may try to relax and do 80/20..but- IMO - to lose- you may need to do 95/5. I know I had to...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oneillch
on 6/29/17 4:28 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Can you explain what the ratios mean? Thanks!

happyteacher
on 6/29/17 6:28 pm

80/20 ... clean eating 80% of the time and on plan, 20% of murkiier food choices that may or may not derail the weight loss

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 6:37 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I was wondering the same thing? -- Several have said that it means 80% on plan and 20% off?

I am only 3.5 years out, and I haven't suffered regain/bounce back yet -- but I cannot eat 20% off plan and maintain my current weight. Different things work for different people, I guess.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/17 7:24 pm

When I ate 80-85% on plan and 15-20% off ...I regained 35 lbs. Slowly. Over a couple of years. It took serious dedication to lose the regain.

To maintain - I eat on plan 90+% of the time. I do have a "whatever I want meal" once in a while, but I am below my personal goal. And that far post op - they is nothing that I really miss or really really want to eat. Except filet minion. It is but too pricy to have it more often. Lol. Plus - when I have that - I can have 4-5 oz of the meat and a couple bites of a side. And I am done. Full for a few hours. Happily full.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/29/17 5:05 pm

I'll be six years out in September. I cannot follow an 80/20 eating plan and expect to maintain. Like Hala, I need to follow something closer to 95/5.

I don't think my body has settled at any particular weight, ever. If I weigh X amount, it is a direct reflection of my intake. I cannot eat the way a non WLS person does. It's kind of a ****** but that's just the way it is.

I don't starve myself. I keep my calories in a range that allows me to stay at a desirable weight.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

happyteacher
on 6/29/17 6:24 pm

I had surgery in 2011 so pretty close to you. I agree with you- it is different. And it also changed over the years too. Once I hit goal, for that first year after or so if my weight popped up 5 pounds I could just clamp down on the diet for just a few days and it would drop quickly. Now- nope. Still effective, but I seem to lose much slower now. In my case though, it is not comparing apples to apples. In my original weight loss phase I exercised crazy consistently and vigorously. Now, not moving much. So it makes sense that it would come off slower.

I do feel like I can gain more easily though. The calorie quality also seems to matter significantly. For example, I feel like 1500 calories of good clean eating is not causing much if any gain. 1500 calories where 50% of them is from sugary desserts and I quickly gain. I have not super carefully monitored for this so I can't even confirm if it is true- but at least it is enough of a pattern I think it could be if that makes sense.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Valerie G.
on 6/30/17 11:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, this is totally normal. I'm 12 years from DS and regained 20 lbs my lowest. I can eat whatever I want and not exercise, and I stay right here. If I work my ass off and diet obsessively, I stay right here. I'm a pretty normal size 10, so I'm not complaining at all. I had a couple of years at size 6-8 and it was fun, but I like it here without stressing.

You're below the average for regain. Let it remind you to be mindful, but don't stress out over it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics