Gallbladder Removal and Weight Gain

on 6/17/17 11:52 am
VSG on 09/19/16

Hey everyone! I'm 9 months post op VSG and have lost about 105 pounds so far (including pre-op liquid diet). Everything in general has been good so far, except for the past two weeks I've been experiencing a lot of abdominal and side pain after eating, and also some really terrible bloating, gas, nausea, and constipation. Did an ultrasound a few days ago and it turns out I have a contracted gallbladder full of stones. :(

I know that the only way to get rid of gallbladder problems is to do gallbladder removal surgery, but I've been doing a lot of research and I've been finding that A LOT of people have been complaining that they experience uncontrolled weight gain after gallbladder removal. Despite eating healthy, exercising, and limiting the consumption of fats, people seem to rapidly gain huge amounts of weight, especially in the abdomen, and find it impossible to lose it. As a bariatric patient this of course scares the heck out of me! I don't want to do this surgery and ruin what I've worked so hard to achieve with my weight loss, and I still have so much more weight I want to lose until I hit my goal.

What should I do? :( Has anyone else had gallbladder removal after wls? Did it impact your weight loss or give you any unwanted side affects after surgery? I'm so scared of having to do this surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

NANNY13
on 6/17/17 1:05 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

That did not happen to me! I had mine out last summer and lost everything I needed to and have been in maintenance ever since with no issues. I get what you are feeling though. I was scared too!

NANNY13
on 6/17/17 1:07 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Maybe they felt better after the surgery so they ate too much food??

NANNY13
on 6/17/17 1:07 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Maybe they felt better after the surgery so they ate too much food??

Renren
on 6/19/17 8:35 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I had my gallbladder removed years before my vsg surgery when I was very heavy. After I had my vsg surgery I was able to reach my goal, and have maintained it for 8 months so far.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active
Recent Topics