Three Month Post Op Update

Manda32
on 6/14/17 11:00 pm

I've made it 3 months! The first month was definitely the hardest, but it does get easier for anyone who has yet to have surgery.

Had my post op appointment on Tuesday at my center. All my bloodwork was good, except for high iron, that he's going to keep an eye on. I might have to start donating blood every couple months to reduce my iron levels, but going to wait and see how my levels are in a few months at my next appointment.

Other than that, he was very happy with my weight loss, said it was above his expectations, so glad to hear that.

I have lost 80lbs over all, 64lbs since the two week before surgery when I had to start my liquid diet.

I'm happy with my weight loss, I don't think my brain has really caught up with my weight loss. Unfortunately when I look in the mirror I don't really see a difference. I do know that I have, clothes I have thrown out because they no longer fit me, and people saying they notice my weight loss. I hear that people do experience this, that they don't really see the 'new' you at first. Hopefully I will start to notice for myself down the road.

I also found out for the first time my center's goal for me. They view success for me at 194 lbs, so 150lbs loss. They base it on a bmi of 30. The dietitian told me that they find a lot of people find maintaining at a bmi of 30 is a lot easier than that of a bmi of 25. She also said, that they have a second goal (I'm assuming best case scenerio) of me being 160 lbs (much better). I'm sure they have their reasonings and stats of previous patients and what not to come up with these goals and that's fine, I just don't have to agree with it. Would I love to be 194 now...OF COURSE!!! However, I don't think I will be happy at that weight.

I did put my goal weight at 150. Its the higher end of a healthy BMI, and I thought that would be a good weight, but I'm not tied to that number by any means. If I was 160, or even 170 and I was happy with where I was at, than fine, I just don't think 194 is fine for me lol I have a long ways to go before I even get to below 200, so I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other and see where this journey takes me.

I have luckily had no food intolerances, or dumping (I know its not likely in VSGs, but I hear it can happen), knock on wood!!! Getting my fluids in is still a chore but definitely easier than even 6 weeks ago. I've had trouble since the beginning getting my fluid intake in, but I've been getting my minimum in for the last 6 to 7 weeks so that a sucess for me.

The last three months have been tough, especially the first month, but it gets better and I have absolutely no regrets!!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

diane S.
on 6/15/17 10:21 am

Good job. You are doing things right. My only advice is not to settle for a higher weight than you wish. A little regain after getting to goal is pretty common so lose as much as you can during the first year after surgery. You will be glad you did. Congrats. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics