2.5 years out - how much do you eat?

Emily T.
on 6/12/17 2:18 pm

So I am 2.5 years out, I got off track for a little while, and want to make sure I'm doing the best I can. I was wondering how many calories,carbs, ect everyone consumes at this far out? Have your eating habits changed from the beginning?

MissNexxie
on 6/12/17 3:01 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm just over 3 years out and I can eat 3-4 oz dense protein and maybe 2 oz vegetables at meals. I also have 2-3 snacks of pure protein in between meals (cheese slices, luncheon meat, protein shake, etc). I try to get around 90-100g protein and maybe 60g net carbs or less per day. Total is around 1000-1100 cals per day.

When I eat poorly and have slider foods like popcorn or ice cream I can eat way, way more. I was off track, too, for a while and its interesting how easily those old habits can creep back in - the biggest challenge I face, and always have, is eating too fast. I have to remember to put down my fork between bites. But I do still track EVERYTHING in MFP.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

grandmagood
on 6/12/17 3:11 pm
Revision on 08/01/14

Almost three years out. Food choices have gotten off course. When let my sleeve work, 4 oz solid protein, 1/2 cup veg. Sliders have crept in and I have had a 10 pound gain in last year. I must get a grip. I am thinking of going Keto and detox from carbs. Dessert and candy are my downfall.

So, again, if I let my sleeve work as designed I am able to stay within 1200 cal day. 90 grams protein.

grandmagood
on 6/12/17 3:12 pm
Revision on 08/01/14

Almost three years out. Food choices have gotten off course. When let my sleeve work, 4 oz solid protein, 1/2 cup veg. Sliders have crept in and I have had a 10 pound gain in last year. I must get a grip. I am thinking of going Keto and detox from carbs. Dessert and candy are my downfall.

So, again, if I let my sleeve work as designed I am able to stay within 1200 cal day. 90 grams protein.

mmsmom
on 6/13/17 5:07 am - Woburn, MA

At 3 years out I don't log anything - which I know is bad. I weigh myself every morning and refuse to buy bigger clothes. That being said... my capacity for volume has not really increased in 3 years. At most I can eat 1 or 2 small steak tips, or about 2-3 oz of chicken. I can eat a whole scrambled egg and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast, but if i get a breakfast sandwich on an english, can only eat 1/2. The bad foods do creep in - it looks like around this time - i admit i eat too many sweets and love smartfood. I also am up 10 lbs from my lowest, but am still at my dr. acceptable weight. Life is super stressful right now and I hope to get these 10 lbs off this summer. Ice cream is not helping, haha. Bread, pasta and rice sit very heavy in my tummy and do not digest well. Sometimes it feels like crunchy vegetables just do not digest and sit for hours, uncomfortably.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Luvmygs
on 6/13/17 7:33 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Emily, I'm also 2-1/2 years post opt. I continue to weigh my food and can only eat a max of 4 oz of protein. I don't count calories, but I do count carbs. I try and stay under 50 grams of carbs daily. I try NOT to over eat and like Dr. Voung recommends "Mindful eating". We tend to stop paying attention to how much and what we're eating. Someone posted this on OH and I have it on my frig and at my office. "If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now." You can get back on track, you've got this.

stacyrg
on 6/13/17 10:00 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I'm 3 years post op. I weigh and measure ALL my food (unless I'm at a restaurant). I can eat:

4 oz chicken or steak + 1 oz veggie

5 oz shrimp or fish + 1 oz veggie

I stay away from bread, rice, pasta, white potato ( I will eat roasted sweet potato, but limit that to 1/4 cup by volume)

I try to get in 80-100 g of protein and I stay under 50g of carbs per day. My habits have not changed since the beginning, except I can eat slightly more (4 oz as opposed to 2.5-3) I'm at goal and plan to stay there and believe the weighing, measuring and logging my food is the key. It's not for everyone, but what I chose to do for myself.

Emily T.
on 6/13/17 10:09 am

I had gotten pregnant at 9 months post op, when the weight loss was still going well. When I was pregnant, I didn't stray too much, but wasn't eating how I was supposed to be eating wls style. I feel like I can eat more than 4oz of meat at anytime, though I don't. I do measure everything I eat & track on my fitnesspal, and stay under 50 carbs daily. Some days I think I may not be eating enough calories, as sometimes I don't even realize I've only ate 700 for the day, and other days i'll eat closer to 1200. I'm trying to lose the last 20lbs, I am only 10lbs away from my first goal, but ultimately want to lose another 20. I just want to make sure I'm getting back on track in order to optimize my weight loss, and not just be in maintenance.

Most Active
Recent Topics