Insane craving for carbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/17 9:05 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I have had a horrible craving for carbs probably this last week. Maybe it was because I had potatoes in my diet and then recently cut them out, but my mind is so angry at me! I have to pinch myself every time I go to the store because the urge to buy chips is massive. I messed up once and gave in to some baked and hated myself for it. Anyone have any advice to ease those cravings? After my mistake I got mega strict with myself, made myself work out extra and told myself it will be the stairclimber at the gym each time to teach me a lesson lol

Cathy H.
on 6/11/17 10:49 pm, edited 6/11/17 3:52 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Have you tried pork rinds and salsa? That always worked for me when I needed something crunchy like chips. Also, maybe make some mashed cauliflower or fauxtato salad made with cauli instead of potatoes. Might do the trick. Hang in there!

Oh! Also these are supposed to be wonderful, my keto group raves about them! Make sure you use the THIN cheese, and as it shows, bake on parchment for 30 min @ 300F.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/17 11:23 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I will try pork rinds and salsa. I never thought of the combination. I love salsa. Thanks for the tip! Also those baked cheese squares look a lot like cheezeits I love it.

AD_Jordan
on 6/11/17 11:24 pm

Costco has "Whisps". They're made of Parmesan cheese, baked into little circles like chips. There's a recipe for the these on the Bariatric Foodie site, IIRC.

I also like protein crisps from Kay's Naturals. It's a nice texture change from plain cheese, and they're CRUNCHY (bonus: fiber!). I have Parmesan. The Mac & Cheese flavor is good, too.

I need to find (or make) a good tomato powder to sprinkle on the Whisps. I think that would be an awesome substitute for the bagel chips I must abstain from.

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/17 9:15 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I have heard other people talk about whisps, but I have never been able to find them. I may need to order offline to give them a try. I have tried the Quest's protein chips and they are OK, but I wouldn't want them often, they can start tasting a little like cardboard

Smallbites2015
on 6/12/17 3:52 am

I made some fat head little bread rounds for my taco meat . It's a keto recipe all over just go to Pinterest

Erin T.
on 6/12/17 6:08 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Maybe it's hormonal? I've finally noticed a pattern of increased appetite just before my period. Which, duh right? But, I guess prior to surgery it wasn't so obvious. It seems to help me to acknowledge it and realize it's time bound and the hunger will stop.

I also recently increased my calories by about 50-100 (I'm still well under 800 with the increase) and added them pretty much completely from fat. Sour cream, guac, 1/2 portions of nuts, etc. That helped immensely in providing satisfaction over all for my day. I'm back to finding myself going a long time between meals without issue, etc.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/17 9:14 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I've never considered that. I do know that when that time of the months rolls around, my sweet tooth gets out of hand. I start craving anything sickeningly sweet. Thankfully those I manage to keep at bay pretty well with sweet n low sweetened koolaid, or some nice crystal light. I also got a case of the clear premier protein in tropical punch flavor and I love it.

califsleevin
on 6/12/17 7:49 am - CA

Perhaps what you are craving are......potatoes! We can have legitimate cravings for foods with nutrients that we are short on. Potatoes are very rich in potassium (about the most calorically efficient real food source that we have), which we don't get to any usable degree in the OTC supplements. With our modern diets, such cravings can be hijacked by junk foods which substitute sugar or analogs for the real thing which satisfies temporarily, but then the cravings come back with a vengeance for both more sugar and the still missing nutrient.

When at all possible, try to satisfy cravings with real food rather than "healthier" (but still heavily processed) junk food "alternatives".

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/17 9:12 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I love potatoes of all kinds, junk food potatoes and real baked potatoes. Though I can definitely see that I filled those cravings with processed potatoes which was never good. It has been eye opening to see exactly where my cravings try to take me, right to the chip aisle.

Most Active
Recent Topics