Help finding a surgeon accepting united health care community plan.

Toniann2390
on 6/9/17 4:26 pm

Hello, I'm 27 years old diagnosed with high blood pressure and PCOS since I was 17. My BMI is well over 50. I went to many seminars just to be turned away at thd last minute because of my insurance. I have united health care community plan. Most doctors do not accept Medicare. I called the number on the back of my card to try to find a bariatric surgeon. I was only directed to general surgeons....who actually don't even perform the surgery. Is there anyone who is in the Bergen county area that knows a surgeon who accepts my insurance?? Please contact me asap. Thank you all.

- Toni Ann

Donna L.
on 6/10/17 8:38 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

What state are you in, Toni Ann?

Most insurance companies hire case managers. I'd call and ask to talk with a case manager and explain why. They should be more able to help you. Most surgeons here in Illinois always take Medicare - it's Medicaid they don't often take.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Toniann2390
on 6/10/17 8:44 am

I live in new jersey.

Mary Gee
on 6/10/17 3:37 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Look at the top of the page:

Looking for a surgeon, call.....

Obesity Help, Search site, providers, service.

There's also a forum Insurance, Self-Pay

You mention United Health Care and Medicare..... Which is primary?

Best of luck to you in finding a surgeon.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Toniann2390
on 6/10/17 3:40 pm

United Health Care community plan and then I have a Medicare card from the state of New Jersey. I get confused about the insurance questions honestly.

Mirandia
on 6/12/17 11:29 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I had a similar problem when I first looked into getting my surgery with Medicaid. When I was at the seminar they had a print out that listed all the insurance companies they worked with and mine wasn't on it BUT a different medicaid provider was on the list ... so I had to wait until the next enrollment period (November) and switch to that one. So when you talk to the surgeon/clinic don't just ask them about your current insurance ask about ANY medicaid plan ... and if you need to switch it, do it.

There are 5 medicaid providers in New Jersey.

Aetna
AMERIGROUP NJ
Horizon NJ Health
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
WellCare

Also I found this page that mention medicaid coverage in new jersey it has a "contact us" thing where you can ask them about it. https://www.nationalbariatriclink.org/new-jersey-weight-loss-surgery.html

Toniann2390
on 6/22/17 7:47 am

I actually don't mention my insurance, only when I write it down. I have the United Health Care comm. Plan. It's very hard to find a doctor. Ive called the nunber on this page multiple times no answer.

Marinjerro20
on 10/25/17 7:15 am

I actually have the same insurance and I found a guy in Morristown nj his name dr.ward, I just had my appointment with him, he takes that insurance, but first you have to fax them the refferal first before they make an appointment,he told me it's a 6 months process so I just started I have an appointment with the dietion next month so hopefully I get approved.ð??"

Most Active
Recent Topics