So Many Doctors, So Little Time!!

marrla.borwn
on 6/9/17 5:10 am
VSG on 09/28/17

Hi everyone!

im getting the sleeve in September and of course I'm on my doctor rollercoaster! How many doctors did you all have to see? So far I've seen the surgeon, nutritionist, cardiologist, and the doctor who does the endoscopy.

How many docs docs did you all see?

mmsmom
on 6/9/17 6:52 am - Woburn, MA

probably the same - and a therapist!

VSG on 04/28/2014

califsleevin
on 6/9/17 8:14 am - CA

IIRC. just my PCP, though I did see an RD to tailor the surgeon's post op plans to my needs, but that wasn't a requirement. I had done a stress echocardiogram for prior surgical clearances years before, but not for this one.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Mirandia
on 6/12/17 11:52 am
VSG on 03/14/17

PCP #1 - first recommended a weight loss clinic. -> Info seminar, found I had the wrong insurance. Needed to wait for next open enrollment to switch plans. -> PCP #1 - got married and moved to another state. -> PCP #2 - had to convince her, that surgery would help a person with a BMI of 49. Had to fight for a letter of medical benefit and my weight history. The receptionist had to write my history out by hand because she didn't know how to get it to print out and my surgeon ended up having to call the doctor for the letter.

Nutritionist, nurse practitioner, and surgeon at the weight loss clinic - intro visit, all one day -> 6 more visits with the nutritionist and the nurse practitioner at the weight loss clinic -> Therapist for psych eval -> Endoscopy - pylori infection - 2 rounds of antibiotics - two stool samples (FUN!)

PCP #2 - discussed getting clearance letter, told to get an EKG -> Pre-op appointment at the hospital ... blood test, urine test, x-rays and EKG. Surgery in a few days -> Back to PCP #2 to get my clearance letter ... was told that I needed an appointment and that one was available for another month! -> Surgeon again had to call PCP#2 and the letter was faxed.

Over a year and a half from start to finish.

theAntiChick
on 6/12/17 12:02 pm, edited 6/12/17 5:02 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Surgeon, of course. I had to do a supervised diet for insurance, and for some reason had thought my PCP would be against the surgery, so I saw a doc for the supervised diet period (3 months, 4 visits). My rheumatologist to weigh in on the surgical options and suspending my RD meds for the surgical period. Nutritionist (waste of time and money). Cardiologist visit (I have prior heart issues) and then a stress test with the cardiologist. Psych clearance. Ended up having to see PCP anyway for BP issues and PCP referral, and lo and behold she was 100% behind it. Surgeon does her own endos as she likes to see all the structures herself.

So 7 docs, 15 or 16 visits total. Plus I was already seeing a therapist 2x/month for food issues, but I don't count that because I needed that with or without the surgery.

It was a whirlwind, but I got all of it done during my 3 month supervised diet so it went fast. :) Started the process in March and had surgery mid-August.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

marrla.borwn
on 6/13/17 4:26 am
VSG on 09/28/17

Thank you everyone! So far I've seen the surgeon, nutritionist (whom i feel is a waste of time...she just weighs me and gets a food log but isn't making any food suggestions because I meal prep and measure my food already!), cardiologist (got an EKG and have to go back for an echocardiogram and stress test...FUN!), and gastroenterologist (got my endoscopy yesterday).

waiting to see the therapist and have biweekly visits with the nutritionist. Hoping the summer goes by quickly so my surgery gets cleared! I'm so nervous but SOOO excited!

theAntiChick
on 6/13/17 8:16 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Biweekly with the NUT? Srsly? I hope you're not having to pay out of pocket for that. Is it required, or an optional thing with your team?

I ask because unless your NUT is actually a registered dietician (RD), I question the usefulness. I have not met a single NUT that was of any use whatsoever. The ones I have met are pushing fad diets and expensive testing/diet plans. Beyond the basics of nutrition (what is a calorie, what is carb/protein/fat) that most people already know, and OCCASIONALLY a NUT who is good at helping people plan meals and a good recipe source (VERY rare), I haven't found them to be of any use whatsoever. There is no standardized training or certification for being a NUT, anyone can hang a shingle and call themselves one, basically.

RDs are a different thing altogether. They are degreed professionals with standard certifications, and tend to know their stuff. Many don't know much about bariatric surgery but they are working from a good base of knowledge and research and don't tend to push fad diets or expensive tests. If you actually have access to an RD (I don't) then it's a good thing.

marrla.borwn
on 6/13/17 9:42 am
VSG on 09/28/17

Yes, the biweekly visits suck. I literally go in, she weighs me and takes my blood pressure, we go over what I've eaten in the last 2 weeks, and then I leave.

i don't pay a fee every time I go. The fee for both the nutritionist and the therapist is $500.

theAntiChick
on 6/13/17 10:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

That's a PITA. At least it's bundled with something helpful. I contribute at least half of my success thus far to therapy.

Most Active
Recent Topics