About Your Plan?

AD_Jordan
on 6/4/17 6:06 pm

Greetings!

I know that every surgeon has a different post-op diet plan, and that it's not a good idea to compare others' plan and/or results to our own. That said, I'd like to know if y'all would mind sharing the grams of protein and # of calories you aim for daily.

I've had 6 NUT visits. They did not suggest a 'goal weight' for me post-op, AND I can't seem to get any guidance on a calorie limit.

Re: goal weight, they say to stay on plan, and exercise as instructed. Frequent checkups will ensure that I'm losing weight and doing in in a healthy way.

Re: calories- The NUT will not give me a damned number. She says 'not all calories are the same'. YES, I know that the calories from eating FIVE POUNDS OF CHOCOLATE are different from those in five pounds of lean, nutrient-rich protein. But how about a HINT? I finally said "So if I come in and my calories are over 2500, we'll talk about it then?" She said "Yep!"

The reason I'm asking what others are doing is so I can say "I've seen "x" as a range. What can *I* do safely, since you know my medical issues, and my history?"

(I am 7 months out from VSG, and trying to keep my calories at 1100 or less/day, with 70 grams of protein. I'm in a Five Week Plateau.)

Thanks in advance for any input you may have. :)

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Grim_Traveller
on 6/4/17 6:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

70 grams of protein is fine, but 80 or 90 might be better. But depending on how much you still want to lose, 1100 calories is a lot. I didn't get that many calories until I passed my final goal. And if I were in a 5 week stall, I'd be dropping them to 800.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy H.
on 6/4/17 7:17 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm at 7 months as well. My plan guidance was to be at 1000 cals by 6 months. I did that but it was too much and I didn't lose. So I'm back at 700-800 cals/day, and I get a minimum of 60g of protein, usually between 70-80g/day. I'm losing about 2 pounds a week still, so I'm happy with that. I don't blame you for being aggravated with your NUT.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

MonaLyssa33
on 6/4/17 9:00 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I was in a 3 week stall again which I thought was my body preparing for menstruation (which didn't even happen), but the last few days I've actually been eating a lot more carbs and my calorie intake is around 1100 a day. I've lost 6 pounds since Thursday, so clearly the stall is over and I don't know if it was because I had more calories or more carbs or just that my body decided to lose again...who knows.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

mmsmom
on 6/5/17 4:17 am - Woburn, MA

I'm 3 years out, but from what I remember, I used to aim for 60 grams of protein and 600 calories and probably ended up some days at 800 calories. I lost pretty consistently and did achieve goal in less than 1 year. I'm also a small person - barely 5 feet tall so maybe my protein needs are less than others. The nut said so long as I had energy it was fine. It worked for me. I also never counted carbs, fats, etc. but tried to stick to healthy carbs - oatmeal, whole grain crackers, etc. and fatty food would go right through me at that point. I did avoid all sugar for the first 18 months as it wreaked havoc with my system. Unfortunately, I can eat some now, lol. Good luck - sounds like you need to cut calories.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Bufflehead
on 6/5/17 8:12 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

At 7 months out my daily guidelines were under 800 calories and 60 carbs (total, not net) per day, minimum of 80 grams of protein per day.

Donna L.
on 6/5/17 1:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Well. Not all calories are the same. Carbohydrate raises insulin the most, protein then does very slightly, and fat not at all. Carbohydrate created insulin resistance in many of us, which is a significant reason we are obese. It's not just about calories in/calories out; hormonal balance is also a huge factor, and insulin is a powerful ingredient in the creation of obesity. It's more complicated than eating low carb only, and it's also more complicated than eating low calorie only.

My program limited carbs to...well, actually I am not sure, since I was given a modified plan due to my situation. I eat very low carb and also have Celiac, so there isn't much I can eat, since a lot of gluten free stuff is basically flavored glue that tastes like crap anyhow.

We are supposed to be at 1000 calories after six months, however this is adjusted depending on individuals. try to get 70g as a minimum - I, too, try for 90g, and I try to get it from all animal protein sources. Whey is an absolute last resort, but that is because I am trying to keep my insulin lower. I also notice my weight loss slows if I get too much protein from whey.

My program also doesn't set a goal weight, and I actually have no issue with this, really. We talk instead about an ideal range. I have lost nearly 30 BMI points since surgery but am still fairly obese; in my case I am still "successful" medically, but I am also still working on my weight loss. I think too many people become attached to goal weights.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

AD_Jordan
on 6/8/17 7:30 pm

Thank you to everyone who kindly provided info & suggestions. The NUT is out of the office for two weeks, but the NUT that's covering for her is sending me some info, including macros.

I've cut back on the calories, increased water and exercise, and the scale has moved.

THANK YOU!!

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Most Active
Recent Topics