What about veggies (and fruits)?

jillydopop
on 6/5/17 10:59 pm
VSG on 02/09/17

I'm about 4 months post op, down 50lbs and am eating about 1200 calories a day. My surgical team does not approve of low-carb anything. They do insist hydration first, protein second, fruit and veggies third and starches or other carbs only if there is room. I have found it easy to incorporate one fruit a day into my meal planning, whether it be unsweetened applesauce or a fruit cup, watermelon or a small apple. I also try to get my veggies in.. I eat chili a lot because I find the protein easier to digest... and I also do small salads of mainly lettuce (think Caesar salad). Or I love roasted beets with goat cheese. I recently had broccoli and it was delicious.

I saw my surgeon just today for my 3-month post op. He said it is still very early, and not to write off any foods yet... I still have long ways to go and my body will settle at the 1-year point.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/17 9:02 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Curious, what did your surgeon say about your current calorie intake? Many people here stay at 1200 for maintenance and must stick to much lower numbers to keep losing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jillydopop
on 6/7/17 7:32 am
VSG on 02/09/17

Well considering that I keep losing, no one has said much. The key I think is the difference between being super active and sedentary. I'm super active, meaning I'm doing 75 minutes plus and often much much more of activities every day. Over the last few weekends, I've clocked in at walking over 25 km each weekend. That said, I'm fueling my body. Not overfeeding. The extra calories or helping me build muscle and recover from my weight workouts.

That said, on a day where I'm not doing much I'm not eating 1500 calories. I might get 1100-1200 then. When I notice that the scale has stopped moving and I'm not at goal. I can make adjustments, up or down based on my activity level and weight etc.

I use MFP most days, but don't track everything as closely as I would like. I'm a little OCD when it comes to weights, grams, ounces etc...

diane S.
on 6/9/17 11:02 am

Early on, you just don't have room for much in the way of fruits and veggies but one must try to get some in and gradually increase. One vet uses veggies as snacks between protein meals. For about a year I could only eat cooked veggies but now do most anything. Its important to get the fiber and fiber supplements just don't cut it. My doctor is anti fruit because he thinks its just sugar. I always liked to eat a few grapes because they are sweet and low cal. Hmm, think I will go get some. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics