Gas pain and soft food

adistacke
on 6/4/17 6:17 am
VSG on 05/16/17

Did anyone start having horrible gas pain when you started eating? For me it starts even while I'm still eating and is super painful. Does this eventually go away when your colon gets used to good again? I use gas x but doesn't do much. Walking around helps some but not easy to walk around in pain.

Gwen M.
on 6/4/17 8:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you taking pain medication?

Some people have this because they're eating too fast and getting air into their bodies - so if you're not already eating slowly, try to do that. You might also be eating too much if it happens while you're still eating.

How much fluid are you getting?

Have you talked to your surgeon about this? I feel like you shouldn't be in so much pain that you're unable to walk.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

adistacke
on 6/4/17 8:58 am
VSG on 05/16/17

I'm only taking pain meds at night and nothing during the day. I just walked the dog and I'm feeling better. I also emailed my surgeon cause I know he has office hours.

Maybe I am eating too fast...even though I think it's slow, maybe it needs to be slower?

thanks for your response!

White Dove
on 6/4/17 9:03 am - Warren, OH

Pain meds also cause constipation. Even if you think you are going enough, you could be getting backed up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

diane S.
on 6/4/17 11:01 am

Well you are probably swallowing air and such, but at the first sign of this pain, stop eating. You may have to have 5 or 6 very small meals a day for awhile. You may have become sensitive to dairy or some other item also. By all means contact your doctor. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

adistacke
on 6/4/17 2:17 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

I emailed him and he actually gave me his cell so we talked for a while. He thinks it is just going to take time and go back to full liquids for a bit...might start compazine and reglan if still nauseated in a few days.

redhead65
on 6/5/17 10:02 am
VSG on 05/19/17

I just went through this and it does get better. Take very small bites and chew thoroughly, even if the food is soft.

adistacke
on 6/5/17 1:26 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

thanks for the positivity! I am back on full liquids for a few days to settle everything and might get fluids in the surgeon's office. I'm actually feeling a bit better not eating which is sad but I have no appetite what so ever. How long did it take you to get over it? Some people have told me 2 months which is freaking me out!

redhead65
on 6/5/17 2:15 pm
VSG on 05/19/17

It calmed down after about a week and a half, but I did have to slow down my attempts to eat solid foods, just like you are doing. I found that chewy protein bars (no nuts) were easily tolerated if I chewed them to mush before swallowing. Anything else felt like it was trapping air in my stomach when I swallowed and it hurt like crazy. Other posters reminded me that sugar alcohols can cause gas, so watch out for too much of that in your food.

adistacke
on 6/5/17 2:44 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

thanks! one day at a time right?

Most Active
Recent Topics