Date set 6/26 need help making grocery list for post op weeks 1-3

keptbygrace83
on 6/3/17 9:44 pm
VSG on 06/23/17

So I am wanting to know what did everyone eat the first few weeks after surgery? I want to make a grocery list now so I don't have to worry about shopping afterward, What are the best tasting sources of protein shakes?

diane S.
on 6/4/17 11:17 am

Well I could have nothing but liquids for the first two weeks. Then soft foods and I mean very soft. So for liquids have some canned beef or chicken broth and protein drinks and skim milk. Its hard to buy protein drinks in advance because you may find they taste bad to you later. So see if you can buy a variety of individual packets. When you are allowed soft foods, a scrambled egg or some greek yogurt is best but you will still need protein supplements. There is a protein tomato soup that is good and a protein chicken soup if you can't stand the other drinks. May have to order these on line. Have tea in case you do better with warm water drinks rather than cold. I mostly drank protein drink icy cold but some people prefer warm. GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CC C.
on 6/4/17 11:42 am

Don't do it! You will be feeling well enough to go to the store in a few days and what sounds good now could totally turn you off afterwards. Buy enough to get you through the first 4 days using the approved list your surgeon gave you, then reassess after you see what tastes good to you. You don't want to stock up on a 3 week's supply of something you never want to see again after week one. For me that was sugar free jello. Never again will I eat that.

Cathy H.
on 6/4/17 12:12 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Amen, Cecily!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

yvranx42
on 6/4/17 8:30 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Agree 100%!

Gwen M.
on 6/4/17 1:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was on liquids for the first 2 weeks post-op. So I had protein shakes, strained french onion soup from panera, and sugar free popsicles.

My favorite protein powder is Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate which I mix with unsweetened original almond milk. I've never enjoyed the ready to drink protein shakes.

Nashua Nutrition sells sample packets of a lot of protein powders, so you can order from there and try things out. A lot of people experience taste changes post-op, I wasn't one of them.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dh101
on 6/4/17 8:03 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I am having VSG and my surgeon requires 4 weeks of "full liquids" in addition to protein shakes. So that includes:

• Yogurt with not fruit chunkS
  • Kefir
  • Creamed soups
  • No sugar apple sauce
  • V8 juice
  • Apple or Cranberry juice
  • Cream of wheat or cream of rice soup

My team gave me a booklet full of instructions and a quick shopping list at the pre-surgery class which was scheduled after I got insurance approval and my surgery date was set. In fact the class was one of the appointments we set up as part of scheduling the surgery series. (The pre-surgery class, pre-surgery tests, surgery, the 7 day post surgery meeting, the 4 week meeting.)

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

LMTSC
on 6/6/17 2:54 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I'm having my VSG on 6/29 also! Best of luck to you

I can and I will

WATCH ME!

Oneillch
on 6/5/17 5:59 am
VSG on 02/04/15

As others have suggested, don't shop too much as your tastes may change or you just might not feel like having what you've bought. The items that I shopped for or cooked, prior to surgery, included an unflavored whey protein powder (Syntrax Nectar), nonfat greek yogurt, sugar free jello & pudding (pre-made & box mix), unsweetened almond or cashew milk, chicken broth, ice pops (made with sf jello or no sugar added pops), no sugar added applesauce, low fat or ff cottage cheese, rolled oats, a four pack of pre-made protein shakes (Premier Protein Chocolate), sf flavored syrup (Torani or Skinny Girl), decaf flavored teas, Citrical Petites, & a chewable vitamin.

I liked the unflavored protein powder because it is essentially tasteless & quite versatile as it could be added to all foods (watch the temperature though). As for making shakes, I would mix yogurt, us almond or cashew milk, protein powder, & a tablespoon of sf jello pudding mix (pistachio, chocolate, vanilla, white chocolate & cheesecake), a packet of Equal or sf syrup, & ice. For recipe ideas, for liquid & puree stages, check-out websites such as Pinterest, Bariatric Foodie, & The World According to Eggface. GOOD LUCK!

redhead65
on 6/5/17 3:09 pm
VSG on 05/19/17

I found some protein hot chocolate mixes that worked really well when I couldn't handle cold drinks. The have about 15 grams of protein and were an option when the thought of drinking another protein shake made me gag. Just make sure it's cooled down to a comfortable temp before you sip!

Most Active
Recent Topics