loss of desire for food even though i'm hungry?

trishwalks
on 6/2/17 8:24 am
VSG on 04/18/17

i have come to realize, that i no longer like to eat. i'm hungry, and need to eat, so i do.

i don't enjoy eating anymore.

has anyone else experienced this?

reree6898
on 6/2/17 8:27 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

It looks like you are still very early out from surgery. I am getting close to two years out and there are still some days where I don't have the desire to eat and there are other days where I am hungry all day long (however I still make sure to stick to my eating schedule and log every bite I eat). When I was early out from surgery though, for the first few months I had no real desire to eat hardly at all. From what I have seen and read that is pretty common.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

trishwalks
on 6/2/17 8:48 am
VSG on 04/18/17

yes, only 6 weeks out. but the loss of taste has become more noticeable lately.

i have to presume its my palette...foods i once love...i no longer "enjoy" eating. they don't react badly to me at all..they just aren't "yummy" tasting..

perhaps its all the weeks on liquid diets etc...

something to get used to i guess.

trishwalks
on 6/2/17 8:32 am
VSG on 04/18/17

i should state...its the flavour of food that has gone...i find that almost all food has no flavour now

reree6898
on 6/2/17 8:54 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Many times people's taste will change, mine did that as well for a while but it is mostly back to normal now as far as the taste of food goes. There are still some things that I used to love that I don't care for as much anymore like I loved lemon anything but now not so much. Oh and I was one that loves M&Ms but I tired a few not too long ago at a birthday party and they just taste like food coloring and sugar to me. That's not a bad thing though because it helps to know I don't like them anymore .

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Fredbear
on 6/3/17 4:02 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I've had the opposite experience... things I used to dislike due to the flavor are now tasty and delicious. The exception is potatoes, which now taste like sand, which I don't mind at all! Bye potatoes, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Valerie G.
on 6/2/17 9:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It lasted about a year for me. I actually mourned not getting any glee from my favorite foods.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

diane S.
on 6/2/17 12:41 pm

This happened to me for awhile. I just wanted to get eating over with. Over time this will change and you will begin to enjoy your food again. Meanwhile, take advantage and loose all the weight you can. Use protein drinks and Greek yogurt to get all the protein in you can. It took a long time but I now desire pizza and other naughties. Early on, I could not stop losing weight. Now at 7 years I am about 10 lbs above desired goal and need to watch it. GL on your journey. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Gwen M.
on 6/2/17 1:47 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This is totally common when you're so early post-op :) Eating can become a real chore! This tends to pass in a few months - so take advantage of it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 6/2/17 5:46 pm - Warren, OH

It does not last forever and one day you will long for these days to come again. Enjoy this and lose as much as you can. You really need to eat very little. Your body will burn stored fat if you don't eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics