Medium to mix with crushed medication

Amalilly
on 5/30/17 11:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 05/23/17

Just 7 days post-op.

I have tried mixing my many medications with water based mediums (jello, water, flavored water, broth (chicken and beef) and even though it was a bit too early for it, I even tried apple sauce.

The vile taste (no matter which water based medium) has caused substantial gag reflex to the point that I've not been able to ingest more than 1/3 of my medication.

I've tried them one at a time to see if some were more palatable than others. I am breaking the two smaller pills in half and swallowing with water without actually 'crushing' them. The rest...

Out of desperation I tried melting a bit of peanut butter and mixing the pill powder into its oily medium. Except for the fact it is very hard to get PB down (sticky), it has worked. The oil truly masks the vile taste where the water based options did not.

I'm left with wondering which 'less-than ideal' solution is best... the Peanut Butter or not getting my full dose of medications. How harmful do you think the PB is at this early stage?

What medium(s) have you had success with?

I did mention my struggle to my team but it was a 2ndary part of the conversation which ended up being ignored. I have my follow up appt tomorrow and will ask again in person.

Gwen M.
on 5/30/17 12:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

There's really no reason to not swallow your pills post-op? The ASMBS certainly promotes the concept. I had no problem swallowing pills the day I got home.

There is a poster here who mixed hers with yogurt - that might work for you.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/17 2:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I never had to crush my pills, I was given the OK to swallow them whole or halved, depending on size, from day 1. I was on a LOT of pills at the time, including several meds for bipolar, so it took a good five minutes to get them all down, but going without was not an option.

I would be nervous to take peanut butter at 7 days out. That's pretty substantial, texture-wise, for a stomach that's been cut apart, and I would be worried about a chunk of it getting caught in a staple line.

If you're having a lot of trouble and the medications are very important, you might consider asking for a prescription to a compounding pharmacy. Many meds can be made in liquid form, which could be a short-term solution.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

AggieMae
on 5/30/17 3:30 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Cut them up to the size of a pea instead of crushing. Swollow, sip, swallow, sip...

Bufflehead
on 5/30/17 5:41 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Just swallow them whole with water, or see if your pharmacist can work with your doc to get liquid meds as an alternative. I never crushed anything.

landy
on 5/31/17 1:51 pm

Greek yogurt.

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

Most Active
Recent Topics