Psychological Testing Fort Worth

christifreeman
on 5/30/17 10:58 am

I can not find an in network Dr. that does the pre op psychological testing. If you had a good experience with your testing, will you tell me who you used. If you did not, let me know who that was so I WILL NOT make an appointment there. I am getting very frustrated. I have called several doctors and left messages and am not getting call backs. Any help would be appreciated.

AggieMae
on 5/30/17 3:34 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Find a counselor who specializes in eating disorders. The point of the evaluation to to help you workout your eating issues before you have surgery.

Cathy H.
on 5/30/17 7:54 pm, edited 5/30/17 3:09 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Oh, that this were true. Most of the psych evals I've seen are to see if they think you can follow the rules of the post-op diet. I went through the process twice. First 8 years ago when I was all scheduled and ready to have lap band (but cancelled at the last minute), and then this time. The first time, the psych eval was a joke. I think I could have told them I eat cats and they would have passed me.

This time, I was questioned extensively about my history, and they delved into why I thought I got where I did, etc. The interviews were like night and day. I've known several people who "pass" their psych eval that never should have, because I knew for a fact they were going in with the wrong mindset, having the surgery for the wrong reasons, then did everything wrong after surgery and couldn't understand why it didn't work.

Definitely get references from past patients to make sure you're getting someone who knows what they're doing.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

theAntiChick
on 5/31/17 7:43 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I agree. I was already in therapy for my food issues, and I expected the psych eval to be much more than it was. I filled out a ridiculously long questionnaire that was some sort of personality inventory, and spent 30 minutes with a guy who asked me a lot of questions that didn't revolve around my issues with food, but rather seemed to be related to competence. In essence, did I understand the seriousness of a surgical intervention, and would I be able to comply with the post-op changes. Not would I be likely to, but would I be able to.

I didn't have any network problems, I was referred to a guy in my surgeon's building who they have a relationship with to do their evals. Apparently I could have had my therapist write an eval, but she wasn't familiar with what format they needed, and wasn't thrilled about my having surgery (she's a HAES advocate, and I'm the first WLS patient she's seen good results for... I stayed with her because while she wasn't thrilled about it, she didn't try to talk me out of it and we have a good working relationship which is VERY hard to come by).

So the person who does your eval doesn't have to have a therapeutic relationship with you, if that helps.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/31/17 7:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance plan is different, and we have no way of knowing who may be in your network.

It's very common to make a lot of calls, so print out a list from your insurance company and keep calling. You might also try asking your surgeon for recommendations, then checking that against the list from insurance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics