Clearly a Controversial Topic

diane S.
on 5/30/17 11:31 am

Well corgis are adorable. I have border terriers and with enough training they could be good therapy dogs. Years ago I had a cairn terrier that was an excellent therapy dog. But it was her innate personality that made her that way. Golden's are good and yet I have seen a few nasty ones. All in all a good temperament and good heath are whats most important.

As for why a wls patient needs a therapy dog, it has a calming effect on people as they talk and might be good for those struggling with mobility. Otherwise , seems like the best therapy dog for an obese person would be one that needs to be walked and walked and gets the obese person moving. REGAP greyhounds are great but they have to be taught about windows and stairs and mirrors and such.

Though I have never had one, A french bulldog seems like a good bet. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Alese M.
on 5/30/17 6:04 pm - FL

I am perplexed and not certain why your looking for a therapy/service dog at all?! I am not being sarcastic but I think of therapy/service dogs as crucial for the blind, disabled and maybe for psychological reasons PTSD, for instance. I am not looking to be controversial but give me a reason why your chosen corgi or lab or any of the other fine animals out there would be of help to you? What is so difficult for you? These service dogs take many years to train by a professional service dog trainer....

Just wondering? Some cats can be soothing or even a rabbit....

Good luck,

alese inFL

alese in SE FL    

Donna L.
on 5/30/17 8:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Actually, therapy dogs are different than service dogs. They are trained to work with people with mental illness. Many of the people I treat have eating disorders which are frequently caused by trauma - for PTSD and trauma, therapy dogs are wonderful.

And I am familiar with traditional service dogs too, as well as The Seeing Eye (where most dogs for the blond come from). Therapy dogs have less strict training.

As for cats and a rabbit, more people are allergic to cats and rabbits than dogs. They are also not trainable in the same way.

Note: I am an actual therapist :P

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kabeebabee
on 5/31/17 10:24 am
RNY on 06/14/17

Was that typo Freudian slip??

Sorry I realize that this is a serious forum but, being a blonde, I couldn't resist

Kelly, Ontario, Canada

My Timeline

Three week Optifast diet began May 24, 2017

Surgery date June 14, 2017

Onward and downward

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Donna L.
on 5/31/17 10:40 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Haha, I totally didn't mean it! I am actually rather blonde-ish now myself so that is funny

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rachel B.
on 5/30/17 8:50 pm, edited 5/30/17 1:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

She wants one to provide comfort for her clients in her practice. Not necessarily for herself personally. I'm a psychiatric NP and I often recommend emotional support animals for my clients. It is very therapeutic. My previous service dog of 11 years not only took good care of me, but was of great comfort and emotional support to many of my clients over her years with me. They are invaluable.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/31/17 10:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> What is so difficult for you?

FYI, it's not really kosher to ask someone why he/she needs their service animal. Can't remember the specifics from the ADA, but if anybody knows I'd appreciate the info.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 5/31/17 10:54 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Service animals have federal law governing them, while emotional support animals are protected by state laws. Here is the federal law.

Rachel B.
on 6/3/17 5:13 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

??? I must have missed something between my post about Lucie and this one...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Gwen M.
on 5/31/17 7:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My therapist's office has a therapy dog that you can book with appointments. Pretty funny that the dog has a schedule just like a therapist. Not sure if there's an upcharge for that!

So these are my thoughts having seen a therapy dog in action. People who want a therapy dog present are probably people who love dogs - so they don't care what breed it is. They're dog lovers. They'll love the dog regardless of breed. :)

So what actually matters is the dog's temperament. While some breeds are predisposed to certain temperaments, you will never know for sure what your dog's specific temperament is until you have the dog. Or have information on the dog prior to acquisition.

Because of that, I also recommend a shelter dog or a rescue. Chances are the people who have been caring for the dog (the shelter or the foster family) will have good information on the specific dog's temperament and that's the important thing. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics