Calcium Vitamin

Alohhaa6793
on 5/22/17 8:48 am
VSG on 05/01/17

I'm going to because I looked up the ones you said and there's no magnesium in it and I'm wondering if that's giving me the problem

Mirandia
on 5/22/17 9:48 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I'd stop taking that, even before asking the doctor. What you are taking is not safe for long term usage because it can cause permanent damage to your digestive tract.

Cathy H.
on 5/22/17 11:24 am, edited 5/22/17 4:36 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm afraid I respectfully disagree. Studies show most Americans are magnesium deficient, and taking a magnesium supplement can be beneficial. I have always been low in magnesium, to the point that twice when I was in the hospital for an unrelated emergency, I was given a large amount of magnesium intravenously because it was so low.

I make sure I get 400mg per day. It not only keeps my magnesium levels where they need to be, but also helps with the constipation issues I have had since surgery.

You would have to take massive doses of magnesium every day to cause damage to anything, as excess is eliminated by the body in saliva and urine.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

califsleevin
on 5/22/17 10:20 am - CA

I don't think that it's any big deal - the dosage levels of mag citrate for laxative use is many times the 300mg of the Solgar product (which my wife has used for quite some time in her smoothie concoction without any such effect - she needs to add Miralax to it to get that effect. The separate products suggested are a similar or higher dosage of mag citrate.

As suggested, the soft or liquid stool is pretty common the first month given the liquid and soft diets that most are on, and the commonality of artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols in many of the products that are used. Magnesium is an essential part of the calcium cycle (without it, the calcium is largely wasted) so you need to get it one way or another, and mag citrate is the common form of supplement. You can use a different product or blend of products to do the same thing, but there's nothing wrong with the Solgar product.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics