How important are these rules for you personally?

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/17 12:51 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Eating slowly. Tiny bites. Putting the fork down between bites. Chewing very well or a certain amount of times. How important have you found these particular rules to be for you personally?

I noticed today that for the most part I eat exactly the same as before surgery, just in 2-4oz portions 3-4 times per day. I wonder if not following these rules will cause regain eventually.

peachpie
on 5/20/17 3:33 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I try to eat slowly- because if I don't it will likely hurt. Just like a try to drive the speed limit to avoid getting a ticket.

I don't take pea size bites- but do take smaller bites. Helps with the chewing throughly which I'm adamant about.

I do not put my fork down in between bites. A great idea- but IMO just impractical.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

reree6898
on 5/20/17 3:36 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

In the beginning I followed all of those but now this far out I only worry about trying to eat slow so that I don't take that one bite too many and end up miserable feeling. I still weigh and measure every meal and portion but there are times when I eat the measured out portion and times where I eat less. So, trying to eat slow is still important because eating fast can lead to eating too much because the brain hasn't had time to catch up to know the stomach is full when eating too fast.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Gwen M.
on 5/20/17 6:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

These are all very important because they increase my mindfulness while eating.

Eating slowly is also good because it makes me feel less awkward when eating with other people. It was suggested to me that I should make my meals last as long as the people I'm eating with. This was good advice I've found!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 5/20/17 10:31 am

well these rules are intended to help you eat without discomfort. It would hurt if I took too big of bites or ate too fast. They are also intended to help you eat more slowly and as someone said mindfully. How ever you go about this is up to you but establishing good slower eating habits now will serve you better later. After some time goes by you will be able to eat more and faster and getting out of those habits now will make it easier to maintain later. GL diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/17 11:11 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I take much smaller bites than I did before and chew more. I do not put the fork down between each bite and I eat while distracted with the computer, or tv or something else. I find I eat slower while focused on something else, so it works for me. As long as you are eating the proper calories and nutrition and don't go off plan eating junk you likely won't get any regain just because you don't follow the fork and spoon rules.

Dibella
on 5/20/17 11:12 am
VSG on 10/05/16

An added benefit to eating slower is that when dining out, you finish at the same time as other people which minimizes all the questions. Aren't you hungry? Didn't you like the meal? Are you still dieting? and on and on.

I do the "fork down while chewing" trick and it helps. It also makes me focus on eating - versus mindless eating. I think it helps with satiety.

VSG 10/5/16

SW: 274, CW: 199, 5'7, age 52

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/17 2:23 pm, edited 5/20/17 7:24 am

I am 9 years post op WLS. I still eat too fast most of the time. But...I now know the very small signals my body can give me when I am getting full.

Dense proteins are tricky. If I don't chew them well enough - they may make me very uncomfortable. Plus if I eat too fast - I may end up eating too much for that day.

As almost anyone long term post op would tell you- you have low volume days and high volume days. Days that I can't eat enough ... And days when 2 oz of dense proteins and a few bites of veggies are more than enough to make me feel full. That is a blessing and a course.

When I catch myself eating too fast - I may stop eating in a middle of a meal... Put my fork down and wait a few minutes. Sometimes I can continue eating, and finish my pre-measured meal, but sometimes I need to stop eating and put the rest of my meal away.

That's why taking small bites and eating slowly is important to me. Even though we are not suppose to be able to streach our pouches/sleeves - I think by overeating day after day - we may make them less sensitive to empty- full signals. And gradually eat more than we should- need to. Eating too much may eventually lead to regain when you are longer post o*****t lose all what you want early post op.

Sometimes I just stop- put my fork and plate down and walk away from a table...(I.e excuse myself to use the restroom when I am out).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ThatMeanOne
on 5/22/17 9:47 am
VSG on 08/22/16

I like the idea of excusing yourself mid meal to slow yourself down. I think that would help me

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/20/17 4:03 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

I hate cold or even lukewarm food. I like my food piping hot. I do not eat slowly. Slower than I did pre-op but not slow.

Right after surgery I did eat slowly because I needed to make sure food agreed with me but I probably stopped by month 3.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Most Active
Recent Topics