Regret after eating something I don't think I was ready for.

Just_me09
on 5/14/17 6:01 pm
VSG on 04/13/17

My booklet from my surgeon says I can eat soft foods since I'm 4 weeks post op. It says soft moist lean meats (can be cut with a fork) so I tried an ounce of roast beef. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have since I've had sharp stabby pains after. I chewed it really really well. I'm praying I have not messed anything up. Thinking I'm going to go back to soups for a while.

White Dove
on 5/15/17 6:57 am - Warren, OH

No matter what it says in the book, we all heal at different rates. It was four months before I could eat beef and that was only rare filet.

My friend needed six months.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

theAntiChick
on 5/15/17 8:56 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Did the pain go away? I had lots of times when I ate too much/too fast/something I wasn't quite ready for and I was desperately uncomfortable with what felt like stomach cramps or bad gas pains for about 20-30 minutes.

You probably are right, you weren't ready for protein that dense... I found I needed to work up to that stuff. Started off with the softest foods on the soft list, and made sure I tolerated each level of density/moisture before moving on to the next less soft one.

I would venture to say if the pain went away relatively shortly afterwards, you probably didn't mess anything up. You can give your surgeon's office a call if you're worried. If you're still hurting, then definitely call and get advice on what to do from your surgeon.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Just_me09
on 5/15/17 9:33 am
VSG on 04/13/17

It did ease up last night. I still called the surgeon this morning and she said what you just said. I either ate too much or wasn't ready for it. I feel better today but still have little pains here and there. Needless to say I'm having soup today and had egg salad for breakfast. I'm going to take it easy a few days. I didn't have any issues with tuna or chicken salad so me and my brilliant idea though I could tolerate that. My stomach said, Ummm.... No don't ever do that again. Lol

Grim_Traveller
on 5/15/17 10:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I couldn't have eaten roast beef at 4 weeks.

Think softer. Beans maybe. I couldn't do any meats until 8 weeks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

califsleevin
on 5/15/17 10:23 am - CA

As you can see, there can be a wide variation in what and when people can eat different things. Our plan was fairly liberal on progression, but the general rule was to test new foods out one at a time to test for tolerance. If something didn't work, back off to what you do knows is tolerated and try again in a couple of weeks. And our doc seconds the motion on filet - my wife was having problems tolerating ground beef and the doc suggested that many find filet to be better tolerated. That's one of the best prescriptions we have ever gotten out of an MD, and one we still fill regularly.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

AggieMae
on 5/15/17 10:04 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Yes, everyone is different I could eat stewed beef and lamb 3 weeks post op but chicken and scrambled eggs both got stuck and hurt.

My surgeon starts people on protein shakes, yogurt and cottage almost immediately post op and other soft foods at 2 weeks...then diced solids at 3-4 weeks.

I still can't eat raw veggies without throwing up.

Most Active
Recent Topics