Newbie Surgery Date 5/24/17

Bamabutterfly69
on 5/14/17 1:03 pm
VSG on 05/24/17

Hello. I am new to this site , looking for support and guidance. I started my pre op liquid diet May 10th, i made one cheat that day and had a hot dog for dinner, but have not cheated since. I received the protein powder from my surgeon it is Bariatric Fusion, I also received chewable vitamins . I am to have 4 protein drinks per day with about 4-6 oz of nonfat milk- which I am doing, and water in between, it also says I can have broth and sugar free jello. I have been limiting my brother due to the salt content and the Jello is 5 calories so I wanted to be careful there too. May 11 I weighed in at 254.8 in my surgeons office, today I weighed myself and was 255.2. Gaining????!!!!!! Someone please tell me it could just be the salt.. because I am not eating anything else!!! How fast is the weight supposed to slip off during this phase? I was expecting to see a pound or so down each day, but so far nothing.. What gives??

Amyvsg0504
on 5/14/17 5:16 pm
VSG on 05/04/17

Best advice put the scale away. It will become your worst enemy. Every scale is different, every hour you weigh yourself you will way different. Put the scale away. :-)

Cathy H.
on 5/14/17 5:37 pm, edited 5/14/17 10:55 am
VSG on 10/31/16

The purpose of your pre-op liquid diet isn't for losing weight, it's for shrinking your liver so it's easier for you surgeon to maneuver it around during surgery. IF you do lose weight, that's just an added bonus! So don't worry about the measly 5 calories in your SF jello. If you're concerned about the sodium in broth, get low sodium broth. The important thing is that you're getting all your protein shakes in, that you're getting all the fluids in that you're required to get, and that you aren't starving yourself. It's tough enough to do a liquid diet, without having to worry about every little calorie.

Follow your surgeon's plan, get your requirements in, and if you need more jello or more broth, have it. Hang in there, it's tough but a lot of us had to do liquid diets for 2 weeks (I did!).

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 5/14/17 6:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much about salt, especially since you're not eating a lot of processed foods right now which is where sodium mainly comes from. (And, studies show, there's not a lot of reason to worry about sodium intake unless you've got specific medical conditions that make salt an issue.)

As for scales, they're all different. Pick one and only care about it. I also recommend that you use something like TrendWeight to track the trend of your weight loss instead of the day to day fluctuations. Caring about daily changes is super annoying. Chances are you won't lose every day. You'll have stalls where you don't lose for days or even weeks. The scale can drive you crazy if you let it.

And, on that note, make sure you use this time to find a therapist to work with. This process can really screw with your brain and the surgery only operates on your stomach. Working with a therapist can help to fix your head too.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoneGirl801
on 5/14/17 6:27 pm
VSG on 04/25/17

Welcome! I had my VSG on April 25th! My scale has not moved in well over a week but my clothes fit differently. I agree with the others, the scale is not your friend at this point in the game. I've finally put mine away and I'll just be pleasantly surprised each month at the doc's office. Best of luck to you!

Bamabutterfly69
on 5/15/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 05/24/17

Thanks everyone. I think it was the salt that scared me . I drank 120 oz water yesterday trying to flu**** out and I guess I did because the scale went down 3 lbs this morning. My surgeon hasnt required me to lose any weight prior to surgery so I am not super worried but I certainly didnt want to gain. I spoke to my dietician today and she said low sodium broth as well.. I see a sodium free one at walmart, I wonder if that is ok to use? I messaged her but hadnt heard back yet.. I am getting in all my protein and lots of water so I actually feel ok.

Most Active
Recent Topics