Clothes while losing

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

My clothes are just hanging off of me right now. I'm stubborn about clothes, so have just been taking them in since I know how to hem and patch a little bit on the sewing machine.

Gwen M.
on 5/13/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, exercise clothing has been tha most expensive because it needs to fit well. So I try to buy as little as I can get away with and do a lot of laundry.

I switched from jeans to wrap skirts because they change sizes with you. I have a lot of skirts... I buy them in bulk from Amazon for super cheap and I've been wearing the same skirts for 2.5 years now. I love them.

For shirts, I just tried to buy cheap ones. Bras, I've just gotten two per size and wash them a lot.

Then I just buy single things as necessary - like "I need a dress for this voice recital."

If I worked and needed professional clothes, I would switch to a "uniform." Basic skirts and shirts, all the same, so that no one would know how few I owned. Guys can do this with suits, so no reason a woman can't!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Erin T.
on 5/13/17 4:27 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I've used Thread Up for jeans and I've bought on clearance a size down so they are really squeezy for a bit and then they fit perfect and then they are loose.

I sell Lularoe and wear a lot of their clothing. It tends to be very accommodating with changing size. The shirts can be turned backwards and knotted, and I still wear my 3XL's that way (and I'm a medium now). The dresses can also be knotted up and worn with leggings. Their leggings are sized so you can wear them for a huge range of sizes, so those still all mostly work for me.

I invest in new work out wear as I need it. I buy the Danskin brand from Walmart for now as it's comfortable and works for my body. I do need to make sure I'm in the proper size to hold in all the extra skin on my tummy.

I bought two good bras in my smaller size, and will buy 1-2 more if I drop again. Given they are mostly just skin now, I'm thinking my cup size won't change much but my band size will ****il I get a lift someday in the future!). I buy sports bras from Walmart too. I size down with those so I get longer with them and get good compression.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/14/17 5:14 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

ThredUP.com and consignment shops. I have a professional job so had to look good. I got basics: black pants and sweaters, sometimes grey slacks or a skirt (black or grey). I loved ThredUP.com so much that the majority of my maintenance clothes are from there (leaving me with some extra $ for splurge pieces in regular shops). I am a clothes shopping addict...

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

happyteacher
on 5/14/17 9:00 am

Old Navy and Jcpenney. I am a full-time teacher so needed to maintain professional clothing for work, and dropped from a super tight 28 to a 14 during the school year. I found I could spend $200 for a complete wardrobe in a new size from these two locations, and also skip sizes. So yes, they got a little loose fitting prior to buying a new size, and the new size was pretty snug. Overall though, it was not terribly expensive and I like to shop for clothes. I am over 6 feet tall, so I am extremely limited on where I can shop. I imagine for normal height folks there are a slew of cost effective options.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

AggieMae
on 5/14/17 9:16 am
VSG on 10/25/16

As soon as a piece of clothing was loose took my nice stuff to consignment, the rest to goodwill. My size changes ever 10 pounds so I usually wear what ever isn't falling off me at home and find 8-10 mix and match things at thrift shops for work and going out.

Right now I ma's sticking to black, white and grey to make it easier to shop.

Insert Fitness
on 5/15/17 3:24 am

It's not an odd question at all, as you can see from the responses!

goodwill has been a bust for me. None of the charity shops around here really carry plus size.

I wear a lot of leggings with tunic type tops or dresses, that last for a few sizes. For work, I need to look professional, so I went the uniform route. A few basic pieces, mostly black, that I can mix and match, and accessorize. Because of my body shape, I usually have to pay full pop for dress pants and jeans. The dress pants I buy to fit well, the jeans, I buy as tight as I can get away with so they last longer haha.

At the size I am now, dresses are getting a bit tricky to fit properly, so I might be switching to skirts for summer.

my best tip: always wear a proper fitting bras! It sucks spending the money, but like Gwen, I do a lot of laundry.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Mirandia
on 5/15/17 8:13 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

My biggest size is 24 ... but I still have clothes from when I was size 18. I figure I'll have to drop to a 14 before I'll really need to buy anything. Frankly, I feel that if I get to a size 14 I'll deserve that shopping trip.

If I really need something before then, I'll thrift it.

LMTSC
on 5/16/17 2:59 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I to have a range of sizes, just may not be the season I need them to be when I lose. I'm fortunate to wear scrubs for work so I will really only need a few items at a time. I'm gonna start scoping out thrift stores though.

Valerie G.
on 5/16/17 8:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was the queen of thrift and consignment shopping. I would sell my outshrunken clothes to consignment stores to fund my next purchase. I worked with three at different levels snootiness and price. What one wouldn't take, another would, and anything left after all visits went to the thrift store. I've even gotten good returns consigning clothes I picked up for $1 at a thrift store.

With this method, I managed to replace my wardrobe (work and casual) for under $100 every six weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics