Acid Reflux

eLoon77
on 5/14/17 7:47 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

I appreciate your points of view but there is something to consider in my points above as well. Can you get pregnant after RNY? Yes. Is that the best choice for me? Maybe not. Please understand there isn't a one shoe fits all answer to any of these questions. I trust the advice and recommendations of my surgeon (based on my personal history and specifics) and why they would mention the above points I made as things I should be taking into account when selecting a surgery. I don't think NSAIDs are particularly good for anyone's health and try as much as I can not to take them. Would I take them over a narcotic? Yes. If they aren't recognized as an option for any WLS patient I haven't heard that from my doctors and was told to consider it in my selection. In my opinion the VSG is less invasive and requires less time on the table which is an important factor to consider as well. Obviously I'm looking to determine what's best for me and plan for the one procedure as I explained. I'm examining both options. Thank you for your input :)

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Gwen M.
on 5/15/17 4:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Since you weren't aware of the advice for VSGers not to take NSAIDs, and it seems like your doctors aren't either, it might be in your best interest and health to ask them if they're aware of the ASMBS recommendations and why they feel those recommendations aren't useful.

Why do you feel that pregnancy post-VSG would be healthier for you than pregnancy post-RNY?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

eLoon77
on 5/15/17 5:37 am
RNY on 09/22/17

Hi Gwen,

ASMBS is American so perhaps (though there's a Canadian chapter it's not as regarded here). Drug laws and recommendations are different country to country as well. Also I looked it up on their site, which I'd expect would be up to date, and only found this information "Some surgeons advise limiting the use of NSAIDs after sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric banding as well. Corticosteroids (such as prednisone) can also cause ulcers and poor healing but may be necessary in some situations."

As for pregnancy the Bariatric Surgery Source clearly states:

""Malabsorptive" procedures (gastric bypass and duodenal switch) increase risk of malnutrition for mom and baby"

Though I understand that malabsorption isn't forever with the RNY I'll be turning 40 prior to my surgery so would be (if I decide to - again, I'm just trying to leave myself options) trying at the 18months - 2yr point. I'm not saying if you're young you can't or shouldn't get pregnant after bypass I'm saying it's not the best choice for ME. Again, there's no one surgery or situation that's best for all. Your body, your choice. My body, my choice. If I feel better about the sleeve with pregnancy than that's my choice. There's not a right or wrong answer.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Gwen M.
on 5/15/17 6:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I get that you're resistant to questioning your medical team and their advice - but it is your body, your health, and your choice. Which means it's in your best interest to question.

Good luck regardless of what you choose.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/15/17 8:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Speaking as someone who had a baby after VSG:

My surgeon has had MANY patients with successful pregnancies after both RNY and VSG. His motto is that "it's not the quantity of nutrition while pregnant, it's the QUALITY." By paying very close attention to what you eat, being on-target with supplements and having frequent blood work done to check, it is absolutely possible to have a healthy pregnancy even while malabsorption is in effect. You'll need to work closely with your surgeon and OB-- possibly a high-risk OB-- but that's pretty much true for any surgery.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

eLoon77
on 5/15/17 8:36 am
RNY on 09/22/17

I agree. Glad you had a good healthy pregnancy with your sleeve! I certainly didn't imply that you couldn't have a healthy pregnancy with RNY so I hope that's not how it's being taken and there's no need to convince me. I've already had a baby so I do come from a place of some experience on that front and what my personal needs are. I was just expressing what I felt most comfortable based on my experience with my previous pregnancy and what added risks I'm willing to take at my age. Certainly not suggesting there's an right or wrong way to go about it for anyone else. Everyone is different! Obviously you can get pregnant with RNY and many people do with great success. I'm just saying for me I'd prefer to lessen the malabsorption risk.

Sai F.
on 5/16/17 7:31 am, edited 5/16/17 12:31 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Before VSG I had reflux with esophagitis, I also had esophageal obstruction and unspecified chronic gastritis without bleeding. I had the lapband for 8 years which caused it. In 2016 I had a revision to the sleeve. I was on famotidine for the first 6 months, and then switched to omeprazole 20mg once a day. I'm doing good, no symptoms as long as I take it once a day. If I stop for a few days, I get a slight burning feeling in my throat in the evening. I hope to be able to stop it completely some day but my surgeon wants me to continue until I'm fully healed.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

AggieMae
on 5/16/17 1:09 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I had some reflux before surgery. I had a hernia repair all with the VSG. I took meds to prevent for about 3 months post op but don't need to take them now. No reflux at all by 2 months post op though I barf up everything in my stomach every time I try eat raw vegetables except carrots. Spinach is the worse.

My doctor pushed for a bypass but I chose the VGS because it alters the natural anatomy less. I have noticed that a few posters here on the VSG thread seem to chime in to make a case for an alternative procedure. I am starting to owner if they have a financial motivation.

Most Active
Recent Topics