Intro and Questions

takers62
on 5/7/17 11:21 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new on my journey down the bariatric path. I have completed my online session and sent my paperwork to the surgeon's office and I am now waiting on the coordinator to reach back out to me with my dr appointment for my one on one with the surgeon. As I am just starting I know I have several different appointments ahead of me prior to any surgery.

My question to you all is what do you think was the one thing that made you successful in your path to weightless? What has assisted you in not only losing the weight but keeping the weight off 5-10-15 years down the road? Did you start a rigid exercise program? Share your secrets of success please. I want to be as successful. I do not have any unreal expectations as I know everyone is different and we all progress at our own pace.

I am extremely thankful to have found this website. It is nice to have additional support where you can find it! I am not going into this lightly as I know that this surgery success will depend on my willingness to make the necessary changes in my life. My family are all behind me as they know that I am looking to improve my health.

Thank you in advance.

Gwen M.
on 5/8/17 7:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Therapy. The surgery only changes our stomachs, not our brains and if we don't fix our brains we'll end up right back where we were. For me, surgery gave me the breathing space I needed to be able to address the mental side of things and I'm forever grateful for that.

I found a therapist I clicked with pre-op and I've kept seeing her. It's been about 3.5 years now. I started off weekly but now I see her every other week.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

takers62
on 5/8/17 12:46 pm

Thanks! I know that I have to see a therapist before I complete my surgery. I used to hold a lot of things in and then eat my way out of my feelings. I am trying not to do that anymore. I have made some great progress in correcting my emotional eating by trying to find a distraction. :D

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/17 7:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Log EVERYTHING. Even if you have an emotional eating day and sneak a candy bar, write it down and be accountable for it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

takers62
on 5/8/17 12:10 pm

Thank you for the advice. I did that when I lost my 40 pounds 5 years ago. Being accountable is the only way to do it. Because if you lie to yourself you are only hurting yourself.

Amyvsg0504
on 5/8/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 05/04/17

For me it was the desire to get my life back. I was an extremely active kid, always on the go. Few bad bounces in life and I stopped being active. Before I knew it I was 220 lbs, I am 5' tall. I have a three year old son who I want to run and play with. I knew this was the right time because I was able to stick with it. 6 months ago I was given a plan and I knew if I was successful with that I would be okay. My surgery day I was down to 198. Five days post op, I am lighter than that. Make sure your heart, mind, body, and soul are in it with you. Make sure you a team who is going to fight with you, not for you but with you.

takers62
on 5/8/17 2:48 pm

Thank you so much! I apprecaite the honesty and from what I have heard the dr that I have requsted the consult with is a tell it like it is and expects you to hold your end of the bargin as well. :D That is what I want. I am not a sugar coated person and feel that sometimes the fluff can make you become lost in your path.

Amyvsg0504
on 5/8/17 2:52 pm
VSG on 05/04/17

Best advice I was given by my surgeon, know your goal, I will give a tool to achieve it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/17 7:18 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I see you just had your surgery! How are you feeling?

Amyvsg0504
on 5/9/17 7:36 am
VSG on 05/04/17

I am moving along. Sometimes I am struggling to get protein and other liquids in but I am only on pain meds at night, and that is a half of a dose. I am about 80% back to feeling normal. I still get tired and take naps. Definitely glad I took 3 weeks off work.

Most Active
Recent Topics