Travel to Cuba

Sukilana
on 5/4/17 3:54 am
VSG on 01/10/17

Hello VSGer's,

I am almost 4 months post op. Things have been going well. I wanted to ask if anyone has been to Cuba post op. What were your food experiences? What can one carry with them as snacks or meal replacements? Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Valerie G.
on 5/6/17 1:11 pm, edited 5/6/17 6:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've never been to Cuba, but having grown up in Tampa, I was raised with Cuban food all around me. Cuban is nothing like Mexican food. It's heavy in garlic and tropical flavors, but not spicy.

Cuban pork, ropa vieja, and picadillo will be great options. They always come with black beans and rice. Enjoy the black beans, but avoid rice. Ask for some extra mojo on the side.

Garbanzo bean soup would be delicious for you, too (new ideas coming up) or meat empanadas or deviled crabs would be just your size and an appetizer for everyone else.

Do avoid plantains - for they tend to get stuck if you eat them too fast. Even 12 yrs post DS, I do eat them, but they are the last thing I eat...like a dessert, and I give them time to go down before drinking anything, too.

The Cuban bread is still something I dream of, and it will make you sad that you can only eat a bite or two, so fill up on protein before you indulge.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sukilana
on 5/7/17 5:30 am
VSG on 01/10/17

Thank you so much. Very helpful information.

Most Active
Recent Topics