Just had the sleeve done in March and have some questions

Jdodd
on 5/3/17 6:53 am
VSG on 03/20/17

1) Can my stomach stretch ?

And I am mostly concerned with having loose skin ?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/3/17 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's possible to stretch your stomach, but not nearly as easy as some people would believe. If you're force-feeding yourself huge quantities daily for a long period of time, you may stretch it, but things like carbonation, using a straw, and going through the normal healing process won't stretch your sleeve.

Loose skin will probably happen and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. How bad it is depends mostly on genetics, how much weight you need to lose, and sheer luck. Many people have plastic surgery after reaching goal weight, others (like myself) are just fine with it and get by with shapewear once in a while.

Personally, I'd much rather have jiggly tummy skin than all of the health problems I had when obese.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Luvmygs
on 5/3/17 8:46 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I was told by my surgeon that we can never stretch our sleeve to the original size. But, like Dr. Vuong says "taking one bite too much over the years can effect your sleeve!" You have to be dedicated for life to take very good care of your new stomach. I still weigh all my food and eat protein first. I had loose skin (flabby belly), but I had a TT and now I feel fantastic! Life is good!

White Dove
on 5/3/17 10:18 am - Warren, OH

Your sleeve will grow a bit and at some point will be able to hold six to eight ounces of food (on average). Your original stomach was able to hold about 30 ounces of food. Your new sleeve is very tiny. Here is a picture showing different boogie sizes and how they compare to a pen or magic marker. Yours is probably a 34 or 38, but you can ask your surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mirandia
on 5/3/17 7:16 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I also had my sleeve done in March. I wouldn't worry about stretching your new stomach unless you are eating so much to the point of hurting yourself/making yourself vomit. If that's the case then you probably need therapy. As for loose skin ... I've resigned myself to that already. I'm in my mid forties and have had two kids. Its bound to happen. I'm already planning for a life of shapewear. Surgery is possible if I can swing the financing or convince my insurance to pay for it. but I'm not going to worry about that for at least 2 years to allow my body the chance to both lose the weight and recover as much as possible on its own. ultimately I would rather be saggy than continue to be obese ... at least loose skin can be hidden.

mmsmom
on 5/4/17 4:39 am - Woburn, MA

Also some foods sit in your stomach differently than others - for example, I can eat a pretty good size portion of oatmeal, but only about 2-3 oz of dense protein like chicken or beef. Last night I could not eat a more than about 2 claws of a lobster. There are slider foods, which you probably do not want to eat like chips/crackers, etc.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active
Recent Topics