sleeve vs bypass

catwoman7
on 5/6/17 5:46 am
RNY on 06/03/15

p.s. some people never get their hunger back, but that's NOT common (I wi**** was - I would have loved that!). For most of us, it comes back within 6-12 months after surgery. That's when things start to get tougher....

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Gwen M.
on 5/6/17 6:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hunger is always a weird thing for me. I NEVER ate because I was hungry prior to surgery, since I never actually got hungry. It's hard to get hungry when you're always shoving food in your face.

Now I do get hungry and it's strangely awesome? I get hungry when it's time to eat. For me, hunger is a sign that I'm healthier than I was. And, the best thing, is that I can recognize it and say, "Yeah, I'm not quite ready to address you yet."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NotOldMomma
on 5/7/17 10:21 am

oh goodness, that'll be rough. When you chose your diet did you incorporate carbs or did you do low carbs?

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

Gwen M.
on 5/6/17 6:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Nope, I've never worried about that at all. After all, gaining weight is something I'm an expert at. I still love food. Being hungry was never the reason I over ate. From my time on OH, it's very, very common for people to never reach their goal or for people to experience regain. It's pretty uncommon for people to actually get "too thin."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/6/17 7:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's not a thing. Everyone who was obese will have a propensity to gain weight, no matter how hard you try.

I've heard of one person who ever hit underweight. And they hadvery serious psychoogical issues. There are a few people who complain they've lost too much. All of them, by the end of year 2, were fratic to lose some regain.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NotOldMomma
on 5/7/17 10:26 am

My mom looked like the crypt keeper from Tales from the Crypt, pure bones, it was pretty nasty, but she did have absorption problems hence one of the reasons why I'm so scared and it's nice to see all these posts of successful surgeries.

theAntiChick
on 5/5/17 10:27 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My meals are fairly normal, but smaller than most people's.

I'm almost 9 months out right now. (about 2 weeks shy of 9 months)

I can eat about a cup of food. A little less if it's dense, a little more if it's not. I try to stop when I'm comfortably full, because seriously that "one more bite" past full will make me beyond miserable for about 20 minutes. I've been really working on listening to my body, which has been really good for me.

I will go several days where I would forget to eat if I didn't set reminders, and half the time don't finish every meal because I get full very quickly and won't push past comfortably full. I have set reminders on my fitbit to remind me to drink regularly and have sorta trained myself to keep water with me always and drink constantly. If I forget to fill my water up before I start working, I'll forget to drink and get dehydrated. (I'm a computer geek and when I get heads-down, I am laser-focused for hours.)

Then after a few days of feeling like I'm hardly eating, I'll spend a couple of days where I feel hungry and eat all my planned meals (my plan is 5 small meals a day) and occasionally will even add one more small meal because I'm really that hungry. Then I'm back to needing reminders to eat for several more days. Not sure if that's "normal" but that's my cycle, and I'm still slowly losing weight, so I'm sticking with it and listening to my body.

So that's where I'm at. I think I'm kinda not the norm for WLS patients, I have several chronic illnesses, and have been fighting flares with them for several months and have been pretty flexible with the diet/exercise thing in support of my physical condition, but I try to make sure I stay hydrated and eat my protein first, and listen to my body, above everything else.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

NotOldMomma
on 5/6/17 3:14 am, edited 5/5/17 8:19 pm

Are you doing a low carb diet or the one most of the surgeons are recommending with the mashed potatoes and applesauce? I know low carb works for me but I'm wondering after the surgery? Will I ever be able to enjoy just one hot fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookie? Or even just a slice of pizza? Which I don't even have now cause of the sodium content =( Or my chicken fettuccine Alfredo?

catwoman7
on 5/6/17 5:53 am
RNY on 06/03/15

most surgeons' programs are low carb, yes. Most of us don't eat mashed potatoes or sweetened applesauce because those are simple carbs. Some surgeons have them on their plans, but most of us here on OH don't eat things like that.

Yes, once you're a few months out you can enjoy an occasional cookie or slice of pizza....but I don't do it often because it's a slippery slope for me. Fettucine Alfredo - the thought of that makes me gag right now - all the pasta and fat would make me miserable. I'm sure there are some who could handle it, but hopefully not much at one sitting - that's a huge calorie bomb.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

NotOldMomma
on 5/7/17 10:29 am

Lol thanks, you answered my question i had asked you up top a few seconds ago!

Most Active
Recent Topics