pouch reset for vsg

melshorty
on 5/2/17 7:55 am - london, Canada

Hi all, its been a while since i've been on this site. I am 1.5 years out from my VSG.

I have gotten into the habit of eating sweets and chips. I've had a 10lb regain and want to stop it in its tracks.

I decided to try a 5 day pouch reset. First two days are fluids and protein shakes only, third day is soft protein such as eggs and cottage cheese, fourth day is ground meats and day five is chicken and fresh fish. I am currently on day 2.

My question is do you think this is something that a vsg person can do? I'm on day two and I am hungry! I'm also feeling a little light headed aand have a headache. Not sure if I should stop this process and eat or tough it out for the rest of the 5 days.

All opinions welcome.

Melissa

califsleevin
on 5/2/17 8:14 am - CA

Certainly you can do it, the question is whether it does any good. Basically it's another fad diet that promises a lot and delivers little. It is premised on the idea that when we first started out after surgery, we were on a liquid diet and lost like gangbusters, so if we want to lose again, we should go on a liquid diet again. The problem is that a liquid diet has nothing to do with weight loss - even those of us who never had a liquid diet after surgery lost like gangbusters those first couple of weeks. What is needed is a significant caloric deficit from what one has been doing (500 calories a day down from stability point will yield about a pound a week loss, on average.)

The main positive thing that these pouch test and reset diets do is to strip you of the junk foods that have crept back into your diet and triggered whatever addictive reactions that you have to them. Any method for cutting those triggers out will do the trick. A basic lean meat and vegetable diet will do, and will also help you to get the caloric deficit down to a point where you can lose that regain. It is also more sustainable as well - you can keep it up as long as you need to in order to lose the weight that you need to lose.

Good luck....

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Gwen M.
on 5/2/17 8:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

1 - we don't have a pouch. 2 - liquids will not make you feel satiated.

The better plan is to do dense protein and skip the carbs. Yes, it'll suck as you go through carb withdrawal, but you'll be happier for it and you'll feel full unlike with liquids.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 5/2/17 8:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Protein keeps the pyloric valve closed whether or not you do a "reset diet." The truth is that any time you will eat sweets and chips they will always cause regain because 1) you can eat far more of these than, say, plain chicken, and 2) they will raise insulin which raises hunger and peaks fat storage.

Regain is stopped by eating protein first, weighed or measured, and then everything else next. Avoid all sweets except rarely.

It also might help to look at why your habits changed back. are you more stressed? More tired? Does eating coincide with other things going on?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/2/17 9:03 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

The pouch reset is more mental than anything that physically resets your stomach. You have a fully matured sleeve, there's nothing being reset in there. Getting off the carbs & going back to a protein lifestyle is what's best. Forget the first 4 days & start on day 5 & keep it up.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/2/17 9:07 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As others have mentioned, the "pouch reset" is an ineffective fad diet. If you really want to do some sort of structured plan to get back on track, you're far better off doing a week of solid protein.

Check out the Five Day Meat Test. I put the site together as sort of a joke, but the logic is pretty sound.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/17 9:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Skip ahead to day 6 through 1,000. Dense protein. No simple carbs. The headaches and cravings will stop once you've had enough time to detox from simple carbs.

The headaches are NOT from lack of food. It's from leaving out the crappy food.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dawncoates
on 5/2/17 10:28 am
VSG on 12/07/16

Hi Melissa please dont give up your are an inspiration and motivation to me you can do this

Mirandia
on 5/3/17 8:42 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I think you would be better served by focusing on the real problem ... your snacking. Instead of a "reset" start journaling your food intake. Start making sure that you have healthy foods available at all times. Make your own snack packs of fruit and nuts and other good options that are easy to grab and go.

AggieMae
on 5/5/17 3:41 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

You don't have a pouch to reset. You have a sleeve it doesn't stretch.

Go back to eating three of four small high protein meals a day. No sweets, no snacks.

Most Active
Recent Topics