64 Ounces A Day

diane S.
on 5/3/17 11:59 am

well you might not get 64 oz in the first day or even week after surgery. But you do have to pu**** with lots of little sips. You will gradually be able to drink more and more. For some, hot tea is more appealing than cold water so do what is comfortable. Or flavored sugar free drinks like Mio. I keep water with me always and have gotten into the habit of having lots. Hydration is important so do your best. gl diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

MonaLyssa33
on 5/8/17 8:56 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

Before surgery I was drinking at least 100 oz of water a day, after surgery I aim for 64 oz but sometimes I get more or less depending upon the day. I have found that pre-surgery I peed several times a day and now after, it's usually 2 or 3 times. It's harder to ge****er in after surgery because you have to do it slowly, but it is definitely possible. That has been the hardest thing for me because a few months ago, I could suck down a 32 oz tumbler of water in less than 5 minutes. My doctors told me that they weren't worried about me eating, so much as they were worried that I wasn't getting enough water. So the first few days after surgery they made me focus on the water.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

theAntiChick
on 5/8/17 9:56 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Also, remember that constipation is a problem for lots of people post op for a number of reasons - high protein, pain medications, gastric changes, etc. One of the things needed to combat constipation is lots of fluid intake. The more, the better.

In the first few days to a week after surgery, I found it very hard to get my minimum fluids in. It was like a full time job, sipping constantly. But it's terribly important, as one of the most common complications post-op is dehydration, and some people end up needing IV fluids because they don't get enough in. I was able to meet the minimum fluid intake by the end of the 1st week post-op, and was able to take bigger and bigger drinks as time went by.

If I remember to keep my cup filled and with me, I can easily drink 120 oz a day or more. The hard part (once the swelling from surgery has gone down) for me at least hasn't been the capacity, it's the habit formation.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Recent Topics