64 Ounces A Day

BlueDoor
on 5/10/17 8:58 am
VSG on 03/16/17

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying for 80 oz. and it seems to make me feel better. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or because of the increased fluids, but I dropped 3.4 lbs in the past three days, too!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/1/17 3:35 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Years ago I would intentionally keep my liquid intake low so that I didn't have to pee too often. Now that I have been drinking in excess of 64 ounces a day for close to a year and 1/2 (started pre-op), my body has gotten used to it. Perhaps the bladder stretches? Regardless I have way more than 64 ounces a day most of the time now. I don't even have to think about it because I feel lost without a water bottle in my hand.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Gwen M.
on 5/1/17 4:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

64 ounces is a minimum - you should aim for more.

I've never had a problem getting in 64 ounces a day, I don't spend all day peeing. Liquid goes straight through the pyloric valve, so it's not related to stomach size. Forming the habit of drinking water is challenging if you're not in the habit before, but it's a great habit to form. Do what you need to do - set an alarm to go every 15 minutes to remind yourself to sip.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/1/17 5:27 am, edited 4/30/17 10:27 pm

The extra fat we carry may limit our bladder capacity. As I got thinner - my bladder has more room to expand holding more liquids ... So even though I pee more, relatively speaking, I pee less often. I can hold much more.

Most days I drink at least 40-50 oz just in 2 hours in the morning. Coffee, tea, water.

My daily intake is more than, 100 oz per day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Anita
on 5/1/17 8:08 am

I have water bottles all over my house.....usually empty ones because I keep drinking them. I work from home, so I keep a 2.5 gallon Poland Spring dispenser in my office and another one in my kitchen. I also keep a supply of 16.9 oz bottles both in the house and in my car (although that could change now that summer is almost here). I generally have one or two in the freezer as well - I refill a few bottles, half way and freeze them laying on their sides (loose cap otherwise they swell too much) -then when I'm headed out for an extended time, I fill them the rest of the way and I have wonderful cold water for a long time.

My planned schedule is to do 16+ oz by noon, 16+ oz by 3, 16+ oz by 6 or 7 and 16+ oz by bedtime (I'm a night owl, so that's generally 1 AM. That gives me my 64......and I generally throw in a bunch of extra water or iced tea along the way....just for good measure. I also don't feel fully dressed unless I've got earrings and a bottle of water....and my eyeliner and mascara....LOL... I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me at the gym and can do about 24 oz there alone.

It's not difficult at all, try breaking it down into segments at first, and then it just becomes second nature. I've always been a big water drinker, so it hasn't been difficult for me, but once I started to pay attention to how much I needed to get in, that's when I came up with the "formula" I used above.

As others have noted, I agree that since I've lost weight, it seems that my bladder holds more. I joke that in the beginning, I got my exercise running back and forth to the bathroom, but that only lasted for about a week and then my body got used to the amount of fluid I was taking in. Now, yes there's plenty of volume (sorry if that's TMI), but, no, it isn't a matter of running to the bathroom all day. The one thing I do find though is that when I've gotta go, I've really gotta go!!! But, that could also be my age showing.

No matter what, you've come to the right place to ask questions and get answers. Best of everything on your journey.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

CC C.
on 5/1/17 8:16 am

I met with a urologist after my first kidney stone in March (which can be caused by among other things, dehydration). He tells all patients to get 80 oz minimum of any kind of fluids a day and doesn't think 64 is enough.

Given how the kidney stone made me want someone to take me out behind the barn and put me out of my misery with the method of their choice, I now get 80 oz minimum (usually closer to 100), no exceptions. And no, I don't pee all day and it was only hard the first few days.

AggieMae
on 5/1/17 8:27 am
VSG on 10/25/16

64 oz is the minimum. Science aside, I eat the same amount of food, within 100 calories but I loose more weight on weeks were I drink more water.

Notaboutperfect
on 5/1/17 8:43 am
VSG on 11/08/16

Good for you getting your new habits started! Before getting ready for surgery I only drank diet coke (a lot of it). When I started pre-op I had to kick my habit and change to water. At first I didn't like it, had to force myself. At first I was peeing more often, but eventually that changed. Now I try to get 100 oz a day or more and I feel awful if I get less. Basically, that means I have a bottle of water on me all the time, everywhere I go. You get used to it, then you don't like to be without.

stacyrg
on 5/1/17 12:41 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I drink 120 oz by the time I leave work at the end of the day. I get, at a minimum, 60 oz before lunch. It's not difficult to do as long as you have a cup or bottle next to you at all times and get in the habit of actually drinking.

Valerie G.
on 5/2/17 1:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

64oz is the minimum amount of fluids for all humans, and it's very challenging at first, but not negotiable-especially when healing. These days I accomplish this before lunch, so no excuses.

Now, go drink something - everything wet counts!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics