The parrot weathers tough times

psychoticparrot
on 4/23/17 6:39 am

Hi fellow sleevers. It's been a while. I'm just 5 pounds away from goal and want to lost another 5 pounds to provide me with a little wiggle room in the future.

In March, I developed severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea and had to go to the ER. Had to have emergency surgery for a small intestine hernia that was strangulated and perforated. I recovered nicely but then developed a staph infection (not MRSA thank goodness) at the incision site two weeks later. Back to the hospital where they drained the abscess, put in a tube and drain and sent me home. i recovered a bit more slowly, but did recover completely.

In early April, as soon as I was strong enough, I flew from Florida to my brother's home in upstate NY. His wife developed a very rapidly-progressing case of bulbar ALS and is now in a neural-care center with a prognosis of 1-2 months. I'm house-sitting for my brother, as the care center is some distance away and my brother stays there most of the week with his wife. He comes home on weekends. Then I do his laundry, cook for him, and in general try to be a comfort to him. He and his wife are especially close, and he is devastated with the rapidity and prognosis of this form of ALS. This time last year, she was still working, gardening, and living a full life. Now she can barely move, is wheelchair-bound, can no longer speak, and her swallowing and breathing are getting very weak. She's only 53 years old. Her prognosis is 1-2 more months.

Despite illness and stress, I'm continuing to lose weight even though it's ounce-by-ounce at 2+ years post-op. That's my one comfort at this time of sadness.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Gwen M.
on 4/23/17 6:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Long time no see! I'm sorry that you've had so many struggles since we saw you last. I'm very sorry to learn of your sister-in-law's diagnosis.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 4/23/17 7:11 am

Thanks, Gwen. When I saw my SIL and fully realized the extent of her decline, I understood why ALS is often referred to as a "monster." I wouldn't wi**** on my worst enemy (not that I have any enemies. :). I'm also worried about my brother, who is 63 and getting worn down physically and emotionally from watching his wife lose one ability after another and also from dealing with the mountains of paperwork needed to pay for her care. And the worst is yet to come.

The parrot feels very down today. Thanks for bearing with me.

psychoticparrot

White Dove
on 4/23/17 8:36 am - Warren, OH

I had been wondering about you and hoping you were happily perched in the sunshine somewhere.

I am so sorry for everything going on with your sister-in-law. Take good care of yourself. The stress of helping others can take a big toil on your own body. I have lost several friends to ALS and know what a monster it is.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

OutsideMatchInside
on 4/23/17 9:41 am
VSG on 07/15/15

That is a lot to deal with but I am glad you are staying on track. I hope your sister in law does not suffer too much more.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

diane S.
on 4/23/17 12:15 pm

So sorry for all these issues. You are a good sister to take care of your brother and SIL. Amazing what life throws at some of us these days and how hard and expensive it is to get proper medical care. My mom has been in the end stages of Parkinson's disease for some time and is fading by inches. Take care dear parrot. Glad the issues are not driving you to eat poorly. Peace to you. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

psychoticparrot
on 4/23/17 1:53 pm

Thanks all, for your words of comfort and sympathy. Although I love my SIL, naturally my primary concern is for my brother. We've been close ever since we were little, and it's almost as hard to see what my brother is going through as it is my SIL.

Still, all things come an end, as this awful situation will do soon. I plan to stay on "after" for as long as my brother needs me. Then I suppose Mr. psychoticparrot and I will fly off somewhere again. I've learned from this that making plans doesn't always mean they will happen the way you hope. And that's a good thing to know and understand.

psychoticparrot

happyteacher
on 4/23/17 4:21 pm

Good to see you check in. Wowza, that is a lot to deal with. My heart is with you and your family.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ipray
on 4/23/17 4:45 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Your brother is very lucky to have you in his life. Hang in there and be kind to yourself as well. God bless!

yvonnef1964
on 4/23/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Glad to hear from you. You been through the wringer. Prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family

Most Active
Recent Topics