Got my Surgery Date

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 4/12/17 8:39 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

I'm super excited!!!! I finally got my date, May 9th!!! I'm really nervous but excited. I got my weight down. It's been a struggle and hard. I've had a few cheat days and my anxiety being high.

I'm so scared of this liquid diet. It's probably the aspect of not chewing which I'm going to miss.

Anyone have any pointers? Any words of advice?

Thanks!

Cathy H.
on 4/12/17 11:09 pm, edited 4/12/17 4:12 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

First, congratulations on your surgery date! Yay you!

Most everyone has to deal with the liquid diet in some form or another. Some are lucky and only have to do a few days. Others, like me, not so much.

I had 2 weeks of clear liquids and protein shakes prior to surgery. Then another week of the same after surgery. Then I was on mushy foods for the next 3 weeks (yogurt, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, pureed soups). I wasn't allowed refried beans and cheese and some of the other awesome things I see some people get for their soft phase. So I literally didn't "chew" anything for 6 weeks straight! The first tuna I ate was the best thing I ever had haha

So, I'm saying, it was hard...d#%ned hard! But I say if I could get through it, so can you. I knew surgery was the right decision for me, and I knew if I didn't do all I could to follow my surgeon's plan, I'd disappoint myself more than anyone.

I never cheated...not once. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but honestly after the first 3 or 4 days, it wasn't too bad.

I will say I think one thing that really helped me was not relying on pre-made protein shakes, but making my own with skim milk, unflavored protein powder, then adding in either cocoa or flavorings to give myself a wide variety of shake flavors. I used pineapple, coconut, banana, almond, and any other sugar free flavoring I could find. I combined them to make awesome shakes like Almond Joy (cocoa, almond, and coconut), Pina Colada (pineapple, banana, and coconut). Plus they taste a million times better than the pre-made.

I also put the unflavored protein powder in warm beef or chicken broth...that broth was my lifesaver.

Stock up, be prepared, and you can do this!!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 4/15/17 7:29 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Thanks so much for your input! I'm slowly working myself up mentally to get there. I've been given so much advice for it that I'm optimistic as of now. Lol!

I found a protein shake that I like. The strawberry premier protein is good and filling. When it comes to me wanting some texture, I'm told to blend it with 3 ice cubes for texture! Looking forward to continuing on this journey.

Gwen M.
on 4/13/17 5:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on your date! I highly, highly recommend finding a therapist if you don't have one already. There's so much mental stuff going on with this entire process and having a therapist can really help you to unpack it all.

As for the liquid diet? It just sucks. Seriously. The first 3-4 days are the worst and then it gets less worse. But stay strong in the knowledge that most all of us have had to do it, and we've all gotten through it. Keep your goals in the front of your mind and don't lose track of WHY you're doing this.

You CAN do it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 4/15/17 7:31 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

I was thinking about that. I have a wonderful support system, and two of them are doing the liquid diet with me. I definitely think a professional would help with the mental struggles!

I keep that mantra in my head. Another goal for me to concur!

robotfish1911
on 4/13/17 9:13 am
VSG on 11/10/16

Congratulations!

Pointers from me: Don't worry about the "not chewing" thing. Sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello are considered clear liquids. The former satiated me just fine. As far as jello, I'm not huge on it, but I did have a couple containers of it here and there. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

M/34/5'10"

HW 293 CW 180

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 4/15/17 7:33 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Ha!!! I just brought 2 boxes of sugar free popsicles, and grateful for me I enjoy jello a lot. I brought the pre-made and box kind!

purduebaby12
on 4/18/17 8:29 am

Question were you allowed to eat the red ones? My Dr. says no red dye so I'm bummed...cherry's the best flavor...lol

KingstonBoy
on 4/15/17 6:01 am
VSG on 04/03/17

Congrats on your surgery date!! That is so VERY exciting!!! I was nervous too about the liquid diet but really after day four - you do get use to it. You just have to keep your mind focused on the BIGGER picture and the journey you are starting to a healthier you.

You will do fine.. just stay strong girl!!

Sending much love

Shana

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 4/15/17 7:37 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Thanks Shana,

I think preparing myself mentally is the biggest hurdle and I'm anticipating it more. I've stocked pile with Gatorade G2, Powerade Zero, Protein shakes, Popsicles, Jello and Greek Yogurt!

I think I'm ready.

Most Active
Recent Topics