Thoughts on vitamin patches?

Missy-37
on 4/12/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 01/06/17 with

I've tried numerous chewable, powder, and regular vitamins and all make me sick. I'm told no gummies however can we use vitamin patches? I plan to email my nutrioninst but figured I'd also ask here.

Gwen M.
on 4/12/17 4:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Some people have GREAT success with the patches, some don't. But the same can be said for any vitamin option really.

I used them for a while then decided to stop because I have adhesive sensitivities and got tired of finding different places to put them every day.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anita
on 4/12/17 7:21 pm

I use the patches....have been using them almost a year. I alternate - left side, right side, under my bra, under my panties.......that way they stay in place. Every now and then one will come off unexpectedly, but for the most part it's fine. I don't have the same issues that Gwen has....the adhesive doesn't cause me a problem. Also, I've learned to make sure I take them off before taking my shower because the water seems to make them stick like they're crazy glued on. Usually I put them on in the morning, but if I know I'm going to the gym in the afternoon, I wait til after my workout / shower and put them on at that time.

My surgeon, nutritionist and primary doc all approved of them. They're a bit pricey, but if you go with the auto-ship every 60 days, you get 40% discount and save on the shipping. I'm terrible with pills, so this is a great option for me.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

happyteacher
on 4/13/17 3:46 am

The patches have been ideal for me. Prior to using them, I was always low in iron and d3 despite taking supplements for them. Once using them my levels all quickly (4 weeks) were up in the normal range. I use the multi with iron and the calcium patch.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/13/17 5:17 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Hi Missy. I'm on both sides of the camp.

I had surgery 5/26/16 and started using them about 2 months post op maybe? My blood work came back perfect for all my post op appointments so far. I took the multi and vitamin D. I'd put on shoulders every night.

About a month ago, I found myself incredibly tired... Like, out of no where and all the time. I hadnt made any diet changes, activity level changes, etc. In my head it immediately went to the vitamin patches.

I still use them, because I had them on autoship to save money, but am finishing my last package up. I've switched back to my bariatric advantage chewables, b50 complex capsules and calcium chews. Within about a week or so I felt back to my old self.

I dont have any lab work to compare against for before going back to "normal" vitamins, just the fact that I do feel better.

People have said it takes time for our body to deplete our stored nutrients and show bad on blood work tests. I cannot comment, I dont know. They've also suggested that while our lab works might be "Good" they do not flag themselves as declining. So, while the doctors/nurses see levels are fine, they may not be AS good as they once were. People here state we need to be advocates of our own health. Its a great statement. I honestly dont track/log my blood work. I alwyas assumed my doctors were competent enough. I have my 1 year follow up next month, so I'm going to ask for a copy of all my labs, and then get them in the future as well, and just keep a google doc spreadsheet of them and track them

Hope that helps :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/17 9:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Some people report good results with patches. Other people report that their levels have plummeted. It seems that there's a lot of variation, and not a lot of solid research/evidence to suggest how well they work overall.

If you're going to try them, I'd sugges****ching your lab results very closely and tracking trends over time. Even if your levels are still "normal" after switching, any decrease over time would be cause for concern and maybe a reason not to use the patches.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sai F.
on 4/13/17 3:04 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

I've used them since like month 3. Blood tests are fine but they were fine before them to be honest. If you can't take chewable, powder or regular vitamins due to feeling ill, I'd say give these a shot. That's one of the reasons I switched to the patch for now as well. Good luck!

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

LynnAlex
on 4/14/17 3:48 am
RNY on 08/04/15

The patches work great for me. I apply them right after my morning shower in my midriff area. I recently added an iron patch. I was thinking about having plastic surgery and wanted to increase my iron levels before surgery. I became constipated after taking the iron patch. I now take a multi every day and the iron patch every other day. I take calcium and magnesium by pill in the morning and a b vit under my tongue. I also take a 50,000 vitamin D once a week. I had a dexa scan and my bones look great, but I am almost 60 years old, and bone loss is supposed to be a factor at age 65 so I want to be proactive.

I don't mind taking pills once a day, but I don't want to be taking them 4-6 times a day, it is too much trouble.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Most Active
Recent Topics