Severe Depression Post Op

racemomss
on 4/11/17 2:58 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I had depression before surgery. However after surgery it magnified it with not having my usual coping mechanism of eating.. With that taken from me then meds not in system I spiraled down. After meeting with a great counselor getting meds worked out and my protein in that turned me completely around. I am having issues now with GERD and a hiatal hernia. had I known it is a common issue with the sleeve for some I would have just done the bypass. which will be done in a few months. Yay more liquid diets! (sarcasm)

Nura777
on 4/11/17 4:09 pm

Ah trust me, I am having a continuous train of thoughts that consist of "had I known". Being revised from the band I know understand from my surgeon that I have a higher likelyhood of worsened acid reflux guh. Well, I knew my risks were higher going in, whi*****luded acid reflux.

Here's hoping I can turn things around. Best wishes with your surgery and relief from GERD

Donna L.
on 4/10/17 8:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can absolutely get better!

Ten years ago my depression was so awful I was told I'd be permanently disabled forever, and never be able to get a degree and go to college. It was so bad I could barely read a paragraph. I went on to get two, one of which is a graduate degree.

Our brain undergoes many changes, and it's hard to say if it was the surgery, or if it was something else, that triggered it. Be patient with treatments and also with yourself. Antidepressants take a very long time to work, but therapy is often immediately helpful, and it also causes permanent changes in the brain if we are consistent and go regularly. The way we frame our thoughts and the actions we do change the very fabric of the brain. It is a long process, however you have always sounded strong, Nura. Depression causes cognitive changes, and we don't talk about this much! It is absolutely not your fault for being depressed.

I am glad you are getting the care you need. You are absolutely worth it. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Nura777
on 4/11/17 4:20 pm

Thank you! That's very inspiring, I have moments where I know that eventually I will be fine and this overriding fear that I have ruined my health will lessen or disappear. Depression, anxiety and fear are total *****es.

Vegbeth
on 4/12/17 3:34 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I've dealt with depression my whole life. Therapy helps, meds can help, and I found that venting my feelings on places like this helps. Right after surgery I was seeing two people, one for traditional therapy and one for counseling specifically around food issues. Also journaling can help. It does get better. Anxiety is another issue I can relate to. I had a full blown panic attack in the hospital after my surgery. The only thing that helped was calling my mom, something I hated to do because I didn't want to worry her. Ativan and exercise help me with that. In fact, exercise has helped a lot with my depression as well and as I've lost more weight I'm able to exercise more thus getting more relief. I know how hard it can be to see beyond the blackness you feel today but good for you, reaching out to people here and for all the efforts you've already put into getting help.

Most Active
Recent Topics