Severe Depression Post Op

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/17 9:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Trying medications for depression is a bit of a game of trial and error. Many folks end up trying several meds before they find something that works without debilitating side effects. Over the past 15 years, I've tried at least 10 different medications!

Just because Lexapro didn't work doesn't mean that you're out of luck on the med front. There are many others that you can try, and chances are good that you will find something that helps to manage your depression and anxiety.

You will have much better luck finding an appropriate med if you talk to a psychiatrist, someone with experience in prescribing psych meds for depression and anxiety.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nura777
on 4/10/17 10:11 am

The wait times in Toronto for a psychiatrics is 6 to 8 months. In the mean time, I will continue with my family doctor as I wait. I went back today and trying new meds for the depression, Zoloft and Ativan as needed. I wonder if I will come to terms with the fallout of my decision to do wls. I am not having the best time with therapist so far, here's hoping the mindfulness therapist i**** :). I don't want to believe that suicide is my only recourse.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/17 10:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Zoloft is one that worked fairly well for me, fingers crossed that it can help you climb out of that awful hole of depression.

Speaking as someone who's contemplated some pretty dark things, suicide is NOT the only option. Hang in there, things WILL get better.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nura777
on 4/10/17 4:24 pm

Thanks, I am glad it worked for you, I am very hopeful it will work.

Gwen M.
on 4/10/17 2:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Please tell your PCP that you are considering suicide.

In addition, here are some phone numbers/websites that might be beneficial to you in Toronto.

Distress Line: 416-408-4357
Survivor Support Program: 416-595-1716

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nura777
on 4/10/17 4:22 pm, edited 4/10/17 9:24 am

Thanks, I appreciate it.I had a great chat with my family doctor and we had a good chat. I shared the fact that I have suicidal thoughts but no intention to act.

Member Services
on 4/10/17 2:33 pm - Irvine, CA

Hello Nura777,

We were notified about your post by very concerned board members. We'd like to encourage you to seek out help as soon as possible. Often times feelings like this are temporary, but sometimes someone needs a professional to help them deal with their emotions. We urge you to visit the National Suicide & Crisis website for numbers in your local area of professionals who are trained to help people in crisis.Their website is located here:

http://suicidehotlines.com/national.html

Or call the USA National Suicide Hotlines toll-free 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) - or - 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

We hope you seek out any help you may need at this pivotal time in your life and let us know you're doing ok. Your fellow ObesityHelp members are worried about you.

Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

ObesityHelp

Nura777
on 4/10/17 4:21 pm

Thank you for your concern. I am having sucidial thoughts but I am not nor due I have an intention to act on them :).

racemomss
on 4/11/17 1:50 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Hi! I want to say I have had the VSG and it has been several years. The depression gets better. I can relate. On day 5 I was a mess wanting to get my stomach back and be done. The hormone release is real. Meds are hard to find the right mix of since we all are different on what is absorbed. Lexapro is my saving pill. Cymbalta wasn't a good fit for me I learned well after I had bottomed out... You will find good days and bad days on the hormone release. A good Bariatric counselor was awesome for me.. Make sure you get your protein in and get out to see the sunshine. Vitamin D deficiency can be depression too.. I sadly will have a revision to RNY but hey it happens. Life is a journey enjoy the bumps and turns. Good Luck!!

Nura777
on 4/11/17 2:49 pm, edited 4/11/17 8:01 am

Thank you :) Did you feel the depression was related to the surgery and hence needing the medication? I never needed meds preop for depression.

Sorry to hear you need a revision. It's one of my fears, but yes life is full of bumps.

Most Active
Recent Topics