(deactivated member)
on 4/3/17 9:47 pm, edited 5/24/17 8:43 pm

Readyjwc
on 4/4/17 12:56 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi

I'm 5'4 and was 225. I got the surgery because I had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea that I didn't know about.Get your check-up and see what the Dr. says.

I don't know how your insurance works but maybe the Dr. has some advice.

Hang in there. Positive thoughts coming your way!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Gwen M.
on 4/4/17 4:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The only thing you can do right now is work through the process. It's hard, but try not to borrow trouble right now. See your doctor, find out what the insurance requirements are and which surgeons are in network. Make an appointment with a surgeon. See what you qualify for and what you need. Not every insurance company requires the same thing.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rachelp
on 4/4/17 7:26 am
VSG on 08/01/16

It depends on your insurance. I didn't need any past records, which is good because I didn't even have a PCP and hadn't been to the Dr. in years. Call your insurance and find out their requirements. Meanwhile, go ahead and make an appointment to get a physical done. You may have high blood pressure and other comorbidities lurking. Good luck!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/4/17 5:05 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

All insurance companies have different requirements, even the same company in different states.

Don't freak out. Wait for your appointment and let your doctor's office guide you. They usually are in tune with what's required by your insurance company. And you can always call your insurance company directly to ask for their requirements.

Not all insurance companies cover bariatric surgery, so be prepared for that possibility too. I hope it works out for you

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Mirandia
on 4/9/17 9:46 am
VSG on 03/14/17

At this point I will say start taking a decent multivitamin as well as calcium blend with D. About 80% of Americans are vitamin D deficient and the list of symptoms of that include bone pain and fatigue. I had it pretty bad myself and I never knew . For years I told my doctor about my pain and tiredness ... the response I always got was "lose some weight" but it turns out that weight gain is just another symptom ... because people who are in pain and tired all the time are of course going to gain weight. (not saying this is the only cause of weight gain ... but it certainly isn't going to help)

It wasn't until I went to a weight loss clinic weighing 286 pounds that anyone ever bothered to test my nutrition levels. I had one third of the minimum amount of vitamin D and was given a prescription strength vitamin ... about 10 times stronger than a regular vitamin to be taken once a week for the next 2 months. My pain went away without losing a single pound. There is no way to tell if I would have kept the weight off if I hadn't been in as much pain .. but I DO know the pain made me less active than I used to be.

Good luck to you ... who knows maybe waiting to establish a weight history will enable you to lose the weight on your own and avoid the surgery.

Mirandia
on 4/9/17 9:49 am
VSG on 03/14/17

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3313629/

Most Active
Recent Topics