Ketogenic Sleevers

Gwen M.
on 4/4/17 6:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Well.... I didn't do athletic stuff before, so I have nothing to compare it to!

The one concession I do make is that if I'm running for more than an hour, I'll use a Clif Blok every 30-45 minutes. Just one Blok, they come in packs of 6 cubes, I think. They're essentially glucose chews. Other than that, though, it's low carb/keto type diet. But for all of my other exercise - shorter runs, weight lifting, yoga, pilates, tai chi, wall climbing, whatever - I have zero issues with energy for exercise.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/17 8:14 am
Donna L.
on 4/5/17 9:43 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm familiar with Noakes (I help moderate the 2 Keto Dudes forums, so I very briefly chatted with him quite some time ago via email). Most of his work is accurate from a biochemical perspective, even if endurance studies aren't available. I know a lot of people who are high performance athletes now do keto and skip the carb loading entirely. Interesting stuff.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 4/4/17 4:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Gwen, how does athletic stuff go on a low carb diet? Do you find it's any different?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rachel B.
on 4/3/17 7:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I've been trying to keep my carbs as low as I can.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Cathy H.
on 4/3/17 9:51 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I've read up on keto diet and am trying to stay within those guidelines for protein and carbs. As Erin said, I don't do higher fat because of the calories, and I'm trying to stay at 8-900/day for the next 2 or 3 months. I was at 600 for the first 4.5 months and stalled badly, then realized I probably wasn't eating enough calories. After I upped them and my protein, and dropped my carbs to 20-30/day, things are better. I try to get 70-80 carbs/day now as well.

I do plan to try to stay more keto after I'm in maintenance.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Highfunctioningfatman
on 4/4/17 7:03 am, edited 4/4/17 12:04 am
VSG on 08/29/16

I've been doing keto because it works for me. I had to increase my calories to have energy. The mornings were really rough before keto. I was eating yogurt quite a bit for breakfast and it ate up a lot of carbs. As an experiment I tried having 4 pieces of bacon for breakfast (360 cal) or 3oz of sausage (310 cal). What a difference! I don't feel sluggish in the mornings like I had been. I started changing up my diet and exercising less because I was losing weight at a rate that I am quite happy with. I have plenty of muscle for all of the physical things that I do. So when my weight slows, I exercise.

mi75
on 4/4/17 10:04 am
VSG on 06/01/14

I am keto. I have found that it is the ONLY way to control my hunger. I have struggled with regain and seem to have no issues eating most foods- even all carbs. So turning to Keto was really about my only option to try and combat the regain.

I have found that on days when I really follow the macros for Keto is when I do best. Just eating high protein is not enough for me, I still need to add the fat and keep carbs

italbar
on 4/4/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Three months in post-VSG. I consider what I do as "Protein-First Keto". In other words, I still follow the rules about focusing on protein first, and then I focus on keeping my calories generally low (>800) and my net carbs below 30.

I have actually found post-VSG that doing Keto is easier than before. The carb limit for me was always a pain before because I could eat such a high volume of food that I found myself hitting the limit constantly, and that anything over 20(-ish) net carbs would knock me out of ketosis and I'd start up my bad habits again.

Now, with the lower calorie restrictions and me still being in the "honeymoon" phase of VSG volume restriction, if I eat two ounces of lean protein first and stick to general ketogenic-type foods and meals, I can very much eat enjoyably without feeling deprived or risking being knocked-out of ketosis. I am really very happy with how it has worked out so far.

comeundone
on 4/4/17 9:24 pm - OH

I do keto to a certain degree but I am currently eating more protein than most. I eat around 1000 to 1200 calories per day and stay under 20 carbs. I've never did mct oil or added butter to my coffee but I've upped my coconut oil and butter usage. I should also point out I did eat carbs and normal meals without weight gain for almost 5 years (maybe fluctuate between 5 and 10 pounds but I think that had more to do with boyfriends) after I hit my goal but feel healthier eating keto/atkins

HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics