Will I ever feel normal again?

njo2174
on 4/3/17 10:26 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Hello there!

I am just about one month post op and I am so depressed, regretting I ever had surgery! Is it normal to feel nauseous and have no desire to eat - will these feelings ever go away, will I ever be able to eat food again and enjoy a meal? I've tried eggs, no luck...and some other soft foods, too! I truthfully don't mind eating less, that's the whole idea of this right? But I would love to eat something without vomiting or wanting to die. Right now, I just wish I had my 35 lbs back and life was normal again. Someone please tell me that this gets better?

Nancy

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/3/17 12:57 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you taking a PPI? If you're nauseated, it could be a result of excess acid production in your sleeve.

If everything you eat makes you vomit, call your surgeon's office immediately.

Eggs are problematic for many of us after surgery, and even now I have problems with scrambled eggs. What else are you eating besides eggs?

Are you measuring/weighing what you eat? It could be that you're eating too much or too quickly.

Keep in mind that you're only a month from surgery and your sleeve is still healing. You have to be patient and treat it gently while it heals.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

njo2174
on 4/4/17 9:35 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Hi!

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I am taking a PPI, but I haven't been consistent with it and that's definitely my fault. Also, I can admit to taking one bite too many. I will have 3 bites of something when I should have only had 1, so trying to be better about that.

Thankfully I have only vomited when I have overeaten - the nausea is like an ongoing issue. I see my Dr. again Monday, and will talk to her about it. Trying to get all my liquids and proteins in and its been hard because I am definitely not hungry - I only eat when I get what I think are serious hunger pains!

I just hope this will all be worth it in the end.

Thank you!

XO

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/4/17 5:24 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Take your PPI as prescribed, especially so early after surgery. If the nausea doesn't resolve, ask your doctor for a prescription for a different PPI. Sometimes one won't work for you.

The nerves in your stomach have been severed and you won't feel hunger pangs. You should eat on a schedule and not rely on your stomach to tell you that you're hungry. Right now it's not an accurate barometer. Trust me on this.

It is worth it if you dedicate yourself to following your doctor's plan, especially now. Don't test your boundaries. The suture line is still healing and eating too much/vomiting could cause leaks or damage.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Babygotsleeved
on 4/3/17 1:01 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Yes it will get better. Hang in there! Are you getting all your fluids in? Dehydration can cause lots of nausea. I'm 4 months out and I'm lucky that I never vomited. I did get pancreatitis at one month, though. I had nothing by mouth for a week and then liquids for another week. Some people need to progress more slowly to solids and you may be one. I blended and thinned bean, lentil or meat/veg soups and supplemented them with unflavored protein powder to get more liquids and still get my protein and feel like I was eating.

Be patient with your stomach until it fully heals, get all your fluids and all your protein and you'll be feeling better in no time!

njo2174
on 4/4/17 9:37 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Hi!

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I am trying but its sooo hard, but I do try and drink as much as I possible can!

I hope that you are doing better and that the pancreatitis is gone!

Maybe I am just a slow goer and I need to stop being so impatient and keep to what I know works - mashed potatoes, soup, cottage cheese and refried beans!

Thanks again!

XO

emelar
on 4/3/17 1:35 pm - TX

Feeling nauseated is a symptom of acid and dehydration. If you're on an acid reduce or PPI already, you may need a different one. And you may need to push fluids. If it continues, get your doc to recommend or prescribe an anti-nausea med.

Just to put things in reference, in a year, you're likely to be wishing that you still had an aversion to eating. This passes. Take your vitamins, get whatever protein you can, keep drinking. You might feel like **** but you're not going to starve to death.

njo2174
on 4/4/17 9:43 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Hi!

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I am taking a PPI, but I haven't been consistent with it and that's definitely my fault. I tend to have a sensitive stomach anyway, this is something I will have to discuss with the Dr. when I go back Monday. I have an anti-nausea med and that does help, I am just looking towards being able to eat without vomiting and looking at food without the aversion! I am glad it eventually comes back and thankfully, I know I am not going to starve to death!

Thank you again for reaching out!

XO

Nancy

Gwen M.
on 4/3/17 4:44 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

There's a lot going on here - nausea could be from dehydration or acid. How much liquid are you getting in every day? Are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?

Lots of people have trouble with eggs, so this is not abnormal. We tend to cook them too hard.

And, if you're not seeing a therapist, PLEASE add one to your post-op team.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

njo2174
on 4/4/17 9:46 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Hi!

Thank you for your response and for reminding me I have to make an apt with my therapist! This has been super emotional - seems like we all go through it, but I am so ready for it to end and I definitely need help getting there.

The egg thing is so weird! Hope that returns since I loved them so much before!

Thank you again for your response!

XO

Nancy

Most Active
Recent Topics