4 years out, Twisted Bowel

maeya321
on 3/30/17 9:00 pm
VSG on 07/05/12

I have been having good success in maintaining my weight loss after losing 110lbs after my surgery on July 5, 2012, but the past few months something had changed and I didn't know what it was. First of all, I was having a lot of strange gas pain. My belly was distending, and while I was exercising and watching my diet I was starting to gain a little. I could tell because my clothes were getting tighter and I was extremely frustrated, thinking that if I just exercised a little more or something it would stop. There were several instances where I had severe gas pains and odd diarrhea, but as I continued to be mostly regular I tried to figure out what foods I might be eating that caused it.

Last Saturday night I cooked dinner for my boyfriend and couldn't finish eating it, in fact I had to stand up before finishing because the pain in my abdomen was so intense. When I left his house I could barely sit in the car to drive home and spent a miserable night trying to pass gas. I was able to have several normal BM's but the pain never lessened and continued to get worse. I didn't fall asleep until about 5am. The next day I got some ginger ale, still thinking it was gas, but it didn't help. Then I started to research online and thought it might be my gull bladder. Finally, after about 24 hours of this excruciating pain, my friends convinced me to go to the ER.

The Doctor ordered a CT Scan and found, to all of our surprise, my small/large intestine had twisted around each other and had created a blockage so severe nothing was able to pass through. My body was strangling itself from the inside. I was admitted and had an emergency surgery to remove the twisted bowel and blockage. The surgeon did think that this was a belated complication from my sleeve surgery. I am in recovery now and while I haven't started eating again, I'm kind of seeing this as starting over again in what I can eat, etc.

I wanted to warn others who might be in a similar situation and thinking, as I did, the pain was simply gas. Just be aware it could be something much more severe.

califsleevin
on 3/30/17 9:47 pm - CA

I'm glad that you were able to get through this without further damage. I have a friend who has gone through a similar problem this past year - intestinal blockage from adhesions, only he has never had any abdominal surgery (just obesity.) So, whether or not your particular problem is a latent complication from your surgery, it is yet another risk of obesity in general - so those who are lurking and researching, trying to decide whether or not to have WLS, you aren't in the clear on this potential problem by avoiding surgery.

Good luck in your further recovery.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sabrina J.
on 3/30/17 9:49 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

I am sorry you were in such pain and had to have surgery. I appreciate the heads up on pain and what is not normal. My VSG on April 10th, so I am new to all of this and nervous. So...the Dr. said he felt it was because of your Sleeve - is this common? Glad you went in - I am such a whimp that I probably would have gone in sooner, you must be pretty tough!

emelar
on 3/31/17 8:27 am - TX

I don't see how the sleeve could have anything to do with it. Unlike the RNY, your guts aren't touched during sleeve surgery.

Strangulation can happen to anyone, anytime. The fact that you've lost weight and your organs have more room to move may have contributed.

In any case, I'm happy you got a diagnosis and got fixed.

Luvmygs
on 3/31/17 11:42 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My friend who had RNY 10 years ago had a twisted bowel. Her surgeon said it could happen to anyone who has had any kind of stomach surgery, most likely due to scar tissue. Since the doctors work around in that area. My friend had an incision hernia which caused her twisted bowel. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

diane S.
on 3/31/17 1:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this important lesson. Get well soon. My SIL just had surgery for an intestinal blockage. Had quite a bit of intestine removed. She has not had wls. Stuff can twist. My surgeon said pilates for core strength is good to help avoid that. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Readyjwc
on 3/31/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Thank you for providing us this information. I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you're on your way back to good health.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active
Recent Topics