Favorite Protein Meal Replacement Shakes

califsleevin
on 3/28/17 5:03 pm - CA

You probably won't find a lot of good feedback on this forum, as you can see, since most are post-op and concentrating on higher protein products for that phase, but they can make some sense for an extended pre-op program such as you are apparently doing. Most meal replacement products are fairy moderate in their protein content, though those HMR products that you mentioned don't look too bad for their type.

I often used the meal replacement concept post-op as I didn't really need the very high protein concentrations that some need, so could readily trade some protein for a broader nutritional profile. What I did usually was to cut the protein powder that I was using (the Optimum Nutrition 100% Isolate is what I'm using now, when I use them) with SF Instant Breakfast which did exactly what I was looking to do. Even without the IB mixed in, I often blended the shakes with other things to alter the flavor more to my liking - many find them overly sweet post-op, for example. This concept could have some benefits for the OP's use as one can experiment with the higher protein shakes that are more appropriate in the early post-op phase - find one that is palatable on its own and experiment with ways to alter flavor as needed with minimal calorie impact. You can also learn how to change things up as your needs evolve through different phases (for instance, I use the non-SF IB these days as a mix-in as my use is for post strength training workout recovery where the sugar is a good thing instead of something to be avoided.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Readyjwc
on 3/28/17 5:20 pm, edited 3/28/17 10:25 am
VSG on 01/05/17

I didn't like prepared protein shakes so I made my own with Unjury protein powder and either almond milk or Fairlife skim milk. I just added in the flavoring.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

mi75
on 3/31/17 7:31 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

I LOVE the AMP kind from GNC. It mixes incredibly easy, with just stirring, and is thin and light. I also like the Inspire brand from bariatriceating.com. They have a bunch of flavors that are really good, AND they have one called Café Bella that can be mixed into your coffee and makes it taste like a café specialty! it's very popular.

As for bars, if I'm eating a bar I will only eat Quest Cookies & Cream, or the Premier Protein 7-8g of protein ones (found at Sam's club). The ones with 20+ grams of protein are way to chalky for me, but the lower protein ones are awesome.

I use Fairlife milk or the lactose free milk since I have developed a wicked lactose intolerance since surgery 3 years ago.

Most Active
Recent Topics