Ibuprofen

Rachel B.
on 3/26/17 1:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

You get ALL the fun!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Cathy H.
on 3/25/17 9:14 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was told absolutely no NSAIDs surgery on. It's even on my med alert bracelet!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

AggieMae
on 3/25/17 11:09 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I got the hard no on ANSAIDS before my WLS, but when I had work done on my eyes in February no amount of narcotics or Tylenol would stop the pain. On the third day, when the swelling was threatening to open my stitches, I was OKed to take 800 mg of Motrin with food once every 24 hours for a week. Sometime I've just isn't enough. Plastics cost big $ and uncontrolled inflammation can effect your outcome. Ask your bariatric surgeon for advice.

Read up on EXPAREL and then talk to your plastic surgeon about it. It's an injectable used for abdominal surgery pain. I don't know how much it costs but unless it's crazy expensive I am going to use it then I have my PS

Rachel B.
on 3/25/17 11:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Now that would have been a perfect situation for toradol. And if you fear it by pouch, you might be able to get it from your doc by injection.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

Rachel B.
on 3/25/17 11:37 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I looked up Exparel. It showed it was indicated for bunionectomy and hemorrhoidectomy!

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

AggieMae
on 3/26/17 11:11 pm
VSG on 10/25/16
On March 26, 2017 at 6:37 AM Pacific Time, Rachel B. wrote:

I looked up Exparel. It showed it was indicated for bunionectomy and hemorrhoidectomy!

https://www.plasticsurgeryservices.com/patient-resources/exparel

Valerie G.
on 3/26/17 7:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

In the early days of the VSG and 20 years of DS, docs said it was fine to take NSAIDS because we had functioning stomachs, not yielding the immediate problems in the bowel that the RNY patients suffered from them. That being said, NSAIDS can lead to ulcers and we have very small stomachs to work with. In the last few years the wls docs have changed their recommendation for us to not use NSAIDS either (but I know of many who do with no problems)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mahalo F.
on 3/26/17 8:27 am

Good morning!

When I began my journey and was researching my options, I was told that if you have the Roux En Y (RNY). Absolutely no NSAIDS... I have arthritis and chronic pain issues and Advil/Motrin/Ibuprophen were my friends. The surgeon recommended the Surgical Sleeve option and said that I would still be able to continue with the NSAIDS. I chose the RNY and began to wean the NSAIDS 4 months prior to surgery. Nothing since RNY.... Tylenol is not a great pain reliever. I have the option to take Dilaudid when pain is unbearable. Quite honestly the pain post RNY was fine. Relpax for my migraines!

So I would ask your weight management centre and doctor if Advil/Motrin/ibuprophen is okay short term post op.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Robin
on 3/27/17 7:40 am - Walled Lake, MI

Hello,

DO NOT take it! I took Motrin for a few days and had a GI bleed, needed 3 units of blood, was in ICU on a vent for 24 hours.

I understand that Tylenol doesn't always help but try it. When I had my plastics, I had to "man up" and wait til the pain went away, I did take Extra Strength Tylenol and Norco. For me Norco was too strong and it made me sick. If you stay over night they can give you IV Morphine.

What about Lortab? I was thinking after my RYN they gave it me. Check with your doctor.

Best of luck...

Robin

gram247
on 3/27/17 7:46 am

I was told not to take Motrin or any nsaids initially.but I am 6 years out & have been prescribed ibuprofen following plastic surgery & also shoulder injury & surgery without any ill effects.

I take with food or something in my stomach, but I always did this, even before VSG.

Tylenol alone doesn't work & they tried tylenol with codeine but that made me too groggy- like hungover. So motrin did the trick - but taken not too often & not on an empty stomach.

Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics