Just starting the process...

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/17 8:02 am

Hi Everyone!!!!!

I am just starting this process. I plan on having the Sleeve. I do not have a monitored diet and exercise period. For my insurance approval I have to have 5 years of medical records, a BMI of 40 of greater, a letter of support from my dr and a psych eval. Everything has been set up. I know I meet the requirements. Monday is my evaluation.

I am just wondering what to expect at the evaluation.

Any advice, tips, encouragement is appreciated. I am excited and nervous. I have a wonderful support system.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Lesley

sgg1002
on 3/15/17 9:52 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Welcome Lesley! I hope your approval process goes smoothly. It took me 11 months from start until surgery and the one thing I wished I would have taken with me is a list of most important questions to the surgeon on the consult. I would have asked how much of the stomach do they cut away (is it a set amount or different for every person because of their body size/weight/health/general condition), etc. It is a wonderful journey and this website and forum has been life-saving in the info and tips all the members provide! Take care and the best of luck in your upcoming surgery.

One Bad Beach
on 3/15/17 11:01 am
RNY on 11/28/16

My psych evaluation was done over the phone. It was great. I answered a few questions about myself, my personality, my relationships, etc. Usually, there is nothing to worry about there.

My insurance requirements were a lot like yours, and it didn't take me very long to get it all done

Initial consult 9/7/16

Insurance requirements met by 10/5/16

Insurance approval obtained on 10/27/16 (only because it took the doctor's office so long to submit to insurance!)

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/17 11:47 am

Kandace,

Thanks, May I ask why you did the RNY vs the VSG.

I know I can read the forum which I have but I would like a more personal conversation than factual.

jachristmas
on 3/15/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

My psych evaluation wasn't that bad. We talked about my medical history and family history and my reasons for surgery and making sure I understood it was a tool. Then I was given a personality assessment test..about 15-20 pages of questions that I had to read and rate myself on. This was scored and I was told that if there were any concerns they would contact me for a follow up, otherwise they would contact my surgeon right away with clearance. She told me up front that they just wanted to support me and not hinder me from having surgery and that if there was anything that needed to be addressed they just wanted to help me with it so that could have a successful post op experience. Happily everything came back all clear and I only had the 1 appointment.

Readyjwc
on 3/15/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Welcome to our group! Every insurance is different but my psych evaluation was pretty easy. How long have I been overweight, when did I begin overeating, did something trigger it, what diets have I tried, do I exercise, is anyone else in my family overweight, what comorbidities do I have and so forth.

I wish you the best. Let us know when you're approved. I'm very happy for you!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

LostStar
on 3/15/17 3:40 pm

Congratulations on such a momentous first step!

Between my insurance and my doctor's office, they both didn't require anything I already didn't have...so that was the easy part. My evaluation was a 3 hour one, where I met the nurse practitioner, doctor, dietician, and then the psych evaluation. It was a rather pleasant experience.

The most important questions I was asked, and I feel from what I read here, most people were asked were:

1) Why are you wanting WLS?

2) What surgery are you interested in?

3) Do you have proper support at home for after the surgery?

4) Do you understand what the wls entails and what it does not? Meaning, do you understand that this is just a tool and the hard work really will be up to you? (this may not be asked, but that's the answer they're looking for)

After the doctor asked me about my history, he had me lay down on the table and examined my stomach by pressing around looking for, I don't know. His part was more along the lines of a general physical by listening to the heart etc.

The psych part, they just wanted to know that I understood why I was doing the wls and what I realistically can expect from it. She also asked my history of where I think the weight started to be a real problem and why? Stuff like that.

The dietician gave me a small quiz to see if I knew where proteins came from via a list of fifteen questions (thanks to my years of Atkins, aced that quiz). She just went over again about the importance of eating protein first, then vegetables, then if there's room, carbs.

It was actually a fun experience. You'll do great!

~I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or he became me--Cary Grant~

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/17 9:31 am

Thank you everyone. I will update how it goes Monday. I am excited and nervous. Waiting is the worst. I am hoping to have surgery at some point this summer. I will be happy with whatever happens though.

StAugGirl
on 3/17/17 11:24 am

I am also in the approval process and hoping for surgery in June. Excited, scared, hopeful...good to find someone else at the same point! Good luck Monday.

cc583
on 3/16/17 2:50 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Welcome to the boards. Good luck with your journey! :)

I wanted the RNY do to the greater weight loss but due to my co-morbidities my surgeon chose to the VSG. I was on heart meds, blood thinners, heart condition, and taking upwards of 8 Advil a day just to be able to walk. I have a fracture in one knee and the other is completely covered in arthritis.

I am very happy with my weight loss with the VSG. If at some point I need to do a revision I will much healthier and it a lot safer to do.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Most Active
Recent Topics