Sickness question?

CoachB
on 3/13/17 10:50 am
VSG on 11/17/16

Ok so I have a quick question. I am almost 4 full months out from surgery have lost close to 70lbs feel great but have had sinus infections a couple times that required medication. My question is this, before surgery I could go to the Dr get shots and meds and be done. This time it took two rounds and of course steroid shots and meds made me want to eat the dang house!!! I think it actually stalled me for a couple weeks in there. Any suggestions about dealing with sickness differently or has anyone else had issues taking steroid shots or meds? Thanks and yall have a great one.

Knitter215
on 3/13/17 11:21 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I'm an asthmatic, so I've been on steriods post-op. Generally for 5-10 days at a time. As compared to before surgery, the steriods made me eat more, but not as much as I used to. In the past, a 10 day steriod course would be minimum of 10 pounds for me. I'm assuming your treating physician knows about your surgery. Have a good talk with him/her about trying to avoid steroids.

For me, I found that switching back to a mostly liquid diet - soups, yogurt, etc. when hit with a respiratory infection requiring antibiotics and steroids was helpful to keep me from wanting to eat the house.

Feel better soon!

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Rachel B.
on 3/13/17 11:43 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Yeah, definitely talk to your doc about steroids because if used too long they can cause ulcers.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Valerie G.
on 3/14/17 7:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The VSG gave you a much smaller stomach, but that's it. There is nothing else different to your anatomy. You only want to be wary of heavy NSAIDS damaging your stomach. There are opposing views on the use of NSAIDs with sleeve, but either way you look at it, they may cause ulcers and a smaller stomach has less to work with. Unless meds activate in the stomach for absorption, you shouldn't have any adverse effects.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics