Am I losing weight too slowly?

Missy-37
on 3/13/17 4:37 am
VSG on 01/06/17 with

I know this is probably a crazy question but am I losing weight too slowly? I had surgery on 1/6/17 and I'm down 32lbs but it seems to be going slow or maybe it's just me? I'm still around 800-900 calories and 80grams of protein. I eat pretty normal with no issues. I weighed this morning an in 8 days I lost .6lb and then before that it took 7 days to lose 2.2lbs. Like am I doing this wrong? I work with someone who had this surgery a month before me and she's dropping like crazy but I also notice she doesn't eat. Any thoughts?

Gwen M.
on 3/13/17 4:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi! We all lose weight at different speeds. If you stick to your plan, you will lose the weight.

How's your liquid intake? Are you tracking what you eat?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Missy-37
on 3/13/17 9:01 am
VSG on 01/06/17 with

I do track what I eat. However, my water intake sucks and so does my working out. I've tried to get in a groove but it's not working.

suzzzzz
on 3/13/17 10:31 am
VSG on 06/23/16

Water intake is critical for losing weight and our bodies just need it.

White Dove
on 3/13/17 4:55 am - Warren, OH

Under Resources, use the Post-Op planner to see what to expect each month.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cathy H.
on 3/13/17 5:40 am
VSG on 10/31/16

It also depends on how much weight you have to lose and what your starting weight was. Someone who started at 400 lbs is going to lose faster than someone who starts at 250 lbs. Also, 2 months is when I had my first long stall, so that could be it, too. You may not be losing weight, but I'll bet you're losing inches! Hang in there, and as the others said, just stick to your plan. This is a marathon, not a sprint, you'll get there in the long haul

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

hollykim
on 3/13/17 9:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Pacific Time, Missy-37 wrote:

I know this is probably a crazy question but am I losing weight too slowly? I had surgery on 1/6/17 and I'm down 32lbs but it seems to be going slow or maybe it's just me? I'm still around 800-900 calories and 80grams of protein. I eat pretty normal with no issues. I weighed this morning an in 8 days I lost .6lb and then before that it took 7 days to lose 2.2lbs. Like am I doing this wrong? I work with someone who had this surgery a month before me and she's dropping like crazy but I also notice she doesn't eat. Any thoughts?

What does a day's menu look like for you?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/13/17 11:04 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I know its hard but don't compare your weight loss to someone else. You're also probably better off not comparing what she does or doesn't eat. Her eating schedule might be something you won't see unless you're with her 24/7.

Concentrate on yourself & what improvements you can do & also practice patience. Some people lose in a stair step pattern where they'll stay at a certain weight for awhile & then whoosh, a big drop, a small gain, then steady weight for awhile.

Check out the what are you eating on the vsg & rny menu threads for ideas on what everyone else is eating in their stage of wl/maintenance.

When I was losing weight I had to change up my carb, calories & protein ratios. You might have to do the same. Good luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Spencerella
on 3/13/17 11:21 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Not a crazy question at all and the answer is not straightforward either! Without knowing your height and starting weight, we don't know what percentage of 'excess weight' you've lost. Percentages are more meaningful than numbers.

Also, your path forward will depend on if you continue to increase your calories. If you do, your weight loss will likely slow down dramatically because the caloric deficit will become less and less. Theoretically, you can lose weight indefinitely, but the further out we get from surgery, in practice the less likely we are to consistently lose weight.

Another important factor is what you're aiming for. If it's 60% excess weight loss (many programs use this as goal), you may very well get there with a slow and steady approach. If you want to get into the normal bmi range, you will probably have to 'put the pedal to the metal' and keep your calories extremely low and at the same or even lower levels to get you there.

Bottom line - to get to normal bmi, you need to lose as much weight as possible while your hunger is low, your sleeve is not mature and your motivation is high. Not to suggest that people who don't get there are not perfectly happy with their results, but the weight loss phase rarely lasts for more than a year or two. Yes, some people stop and restart, but their weight loss is slow and I can't recall anyone in that cir****tance reaching normal bmi past more than two or three years out. Possible yes, but likely no.

All the best to you!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

stupin
on 3/13/17 11:39 am
VSG on 01/06/17

We've had the surgery on the same day.. since starting the process til now I've lost 48 lbs.. since the surgery I've lost 26 lbs.. so I think we are on track..

Most Active
Recent Topics