Abdominal Binder

NurseNichi
on 3/11/17 6:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 03/07/17

Ok as a nurse I've used these multiple times for my c-section patients so when I just had my sleeve procedure this past Tuesday I asked the staff for one. They seemed surprised to get that request, but I do think once the swelling went down that it helped considerably. They first tried 2 of them, but that was too loose and one was too tight at first, but by the 3rd day I was able to use it comfortably to move around. I was using it today and felt like it was trapping gas so I took it off. Using a pillow or just your hand is just as effective to splint the abdomen while walking around, but like someone else mentioned, laying on your side is nice with the binder. I'd check with your hospital to see if they offer this before purchasing one. Good Luck!

Nichi

"I can do hard things!" ~me, I said this

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/12/17 4:04 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I did not have one after WLS but did after TT. It was necessary after TT, but I hated it (no need for it with WLS). I needed a pillow either way for coughing anyway.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Rachel B.
on 3/12/17 6:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Wow! I didn't have one after my TT. Of course I had drains. Walked around with my own little red Testes for two weeks...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Donna L.
on 3/12/17 7:04 am, edited 3/11/17 11:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I wouldn't say a necessity. I had a binder after every one of my five abdominal surgeries (all but one were laparoscopic), and it helped me be more mobile quicker, in the sense that I felt less pulling and less weight. Basically, a binder does two things: improve circulation and provide support. This reduces a lot of swelling. In theory, this is part of why some doctors used to say it speeds up the recovery process.

It makes it easier to move for sure. I was driving about 4-5 days after my surgery and was also moving around like normal, as well as side sleeping.

Do you have to have one? With open surgery it's more likely you will get one. With lap surgery you don't lose as much support since fewer muscles are damaged during the procedure. It's not necessary, though, for most.

Ask for one in the hospital if you'd like. If not, no worries. Clarify with your surgeon though if they think it would help.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Readyjwc
on 3/12/17 7:11 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Just a pillow for me and I was fine. As a side-sleeper, I can understand how it could help with the pulling in the early stages. Honestly, didn't hear about it before my surgery.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Vegbeth
on 3/12/17 12:29 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I asked after my surgery and I was told it could impede with wound healing. I did fine without it.

AggieMae
on 3/14/17 5:23 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I got one three days post up and it reduced my considerable pain to almost no pain and I was immediately able to f

get in and out of bed workout help or crazy bad pain. I used to compression top since my big incision was high up.

Mirandia
on 3/23/17 6:23 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I was given one after my surgery and it really helped me. In fact it feels so nice holding up my saggy belly I'm looking into buying a maternity belt or something to continue it. To all the folks who didn't get one and don't think it would have helped ... I don't see many people who got one saying that they didn't like it. Don't knock it until you try it.

Most Active
Recent Topics