For those who have had VSG (long, sorry!)

Knitter215
on 3/13/17 11:05 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I'm 55. Three years ago, I quit smoking cold turkey (after 40-ish years of smoking). I've been fighting my weight forever. In the 10 months since I started this journey, I'm down 80 pounds, have about 40 to go to my goal. I'm training for a 5k. My arthritic knees which need to be replaced don't hurt nearly as much. I have energy. I can walk college campuses to choose the right one with my daughter who is a senior in high school without needing narcotics for the pain in my knees.

All that being said, you need to be in the right place in your head. You sound like you're getting there. I second what others have said about talking with a therapist or counselor - or going to support group meetings (my program offers three monthly support group meetings for pre and post op patients).

I still cook for my family and eat what they eat, just a lot less. I made chicken cordon bleu for my family last night. My portion was about 4-5 ounces. I had 1/4 cup of rice and a few bites of salad. I was more than full.

If there is one thing I miss is a cup of coffee after dinner when I'm out. It seems a shame to kill half an hour after dinner before I can have my cup of Joe, but if I don't wait, I pay for it.

I didn't want to be the fat mom anymore. I'm not. Down from 22s to 12s.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

happyteacher
on 3/13/17 2:18 pm

Very common feelings there. It is so difficult to wrap your head around what it will be like to eat post-op. Many of us worry about mourning portion size loss. In reality, it just isn't like that though. You will find absolutely just as much satisfaction from the tiny portion as the crazy obscene large one- and many times actually more satisfying as it is no longer the mindless shoveling it in type thing. Sounds like you are ready, but only will know that for sure!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MonaLyssa33
on 3/13/17 3:48 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I first attempted to have WLS in 2012 but (thankfully) the nutritionists said I wasn't ready, and I really wasn't because I was so severely depressed. Last July I started a program again and was approved in January. I wasn't fully ready in July, but as the months went along, I became more and more ready. I'm 3 weeks out today and I'm so glad I had it done. I was terrified the day of surgery, but when I woke up from anesthesia I was relieved knowing that I was alive and my goal was getting closer.

Have you started working with a WLS program? There is a process for most places and like I said, that is when I felt the most prepared.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/17 5:26 pm

I had surgery what feels like a lifetime ago in 2011.

I have never once regretted it. Not for a single second.

I have more energy and I am far more happy.

I have my health and life back.

Jump.

Most Active
Recent Topics