For those who have had VSG (long, sorry!)

wildsavy
on 3/11/17 6:59 am

Hi everyone!

I'll start with the common "after battling obesity for most of my life...", at the age of 39 I'm considering WLS.

This is a huge mind shift for me. I'm no stranger to surgery. I'm a brain surgery survivor, and have had laprascopic gallbladder removal and eye surgery as well. Up until the past couple of months, I was vehemently opposed to surgical intervention and was convinced that gosh darn it, I could do this myself. I have been through our bariatric clinic's Optifast 900 program. I consider it a success, but I'm only 20 lbs down from the weight when I started. I'm not afraid of a liquid diet anymore.

In any event, I'm exhausted. I just can't stand being obese any more. The woman inside me is an active (I LOVE to move!), happy person who feels like I'm stuck in a fat balloon. I have a horse that I can't ride because quite simply, I'm too heavy for her.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, although I'm 99% certain that I want to move forward with this, I'm scared. Food has been so much to me for my whole life....I feel kinda like I did when I quit smoking. ("If I don't smoke, I'll die!"

landy
on 3/11/17 8:56 am

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I sat myself down and had a long talk with myself and made 2 lists. What I think I'm giving up when I have the surgery and what I am gaining. The things that I will be gaining (having VSG surgery on May 1), well.... that list is a lot longer.

Food has controlled my life for 40 years. I want to be in control now.

Cheers to you for recognizing that you want to help yourself.

Best wishes on your journey.

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

iloveravens
on 3/11/17 10:02 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Welcome! I gave myself WLS for my 40th birthday too :)

The most successful post ops, in my opinion, are those who really want this. It might help to work with a therapist asap to work on food issues.

A few weeks before my surgery, I was having a turkey dinner with my family. My dad (about 3 years post op at the time) said, "See, this is what is going to just kill you. Look at this tiny amount of food. This is all I can eat." He was all sullen and sad. I said, "Are you kidding me?? That's what I am looking forward to the most."

Being scared is normal. Being prepared, informed, educated, is a necessity. You're here, which is an awesome step in the right direction. Good luck!!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Pams-A-Changing
on 3/11/17 10:09 am
VSG on 08/17/16

I remember having the fear of the relationship with food changing (socially, with my family, enjoyment, etc...), but I moved past those feelings and had the surgery. And you know what--my relationship with food has gotten better. I actually enjoy food more and feel in control, rather than having food control me. Social situations are more enjoyable, and the best feeling ever is feeling normal when it comes to food. I am not consumed by thoughts of food, and when it is time to eat, I can make healthy decisions for me. I feel good about my decision to have WLS, and I hope whatever decision you make for you, that you will have success. I just know for me, I would not have the success or the relationship with food I've had so far without the WLS.

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

diane S.
on 3/11/17 12:25 pm

Well you gotta start by working on your brain. Convince yourself that you CAN do this (my surgeon helped me a great deal with this). And begin letting go of food as such a major factor in dealing with stress, boredom, entertainment or whatever reasons you over eat. It took me months to do this but I felt like I had plenty of great dinners and my weight in m and m's several times over and I was ready to move on. It was frightening at times but then the fear would subside. Maybe get some counseling. I watched a lot of shows like "Big Medicine" and was touched by the success of people - particularly a teenager who was eventually able to skateboard with his friends like a normal kid.

Anyway, prepare yourself mentally and when you are ready, go for it. I have never regretted it after 7 years. GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

White Dove
on 3/11/17 1:58 pm - Warren, OH

Six months before surgery, I gave up Diet Coke and flour, sugar, potatoes, rice, cereal, corn, lima beans, pasta and noodles. I ate protein and non-starchy vegetables. I exercised for one hour every day.

I did not lose weight. For me it took the surgery and in my case it was RNY. After the surgery hunger disappeared. I felt full on a tiny potion of food. Way less than I was "allowed".

The weight fell off effortlessly. I had more energy than I had in years. It was like a miracle. As the years have gone by, I have to work harder at it and I can eat less every year. But I would never want to go back to being obese.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/12/17 4:01 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I waited a lot longer to feel like you (60 years). WLS was the best thing I ever did, and as one of the previous posters said I actually enjoy food more! I savor it more and no longer eat to the point where I'm not really tasting it as I used to.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Readyjwc
on 3/12/17 7:27 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi:

I quit smoking 4 years ago after trying to do so since my mid-20's. I loved everything about cigarettes but what it was doing to my lungs.

I never thought I'd have bariatric surgery since I, too, thought I could do it alone. That being said, here I am at almost 2 months out and I feel wonderful. I am off all diabetes and high blood pressure meds. Sleep apnea - no more. Plus, I'm down 33 lbs overall.

Do I love food - sure I do. But I love my health more. I know that I've had 52 years of eating everything that I love. It was time to change paths and go on a better journey. My heart and mind were telling me that I have way too many things left to do before I leave this earth. You bet I'm going to try to do them all!

Everyone here had some fears or anxious moments. That comes with excitement as well. It's perfectly normal - this is a major decision and life change.

Write down a pros and con list. See if you can truly handle the cons. Once you're confident that this is the right road for you - go for it!

I wish you the best.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

stealthkitty
on 3/13/17 6:42 am
VSG on 12/04/15

Surgery always sounds scary. It's a big deal! But if you are 99% sure, you are almost there. I don't know that you even have to be 100% sure to go through with it because there's always going to be a little doubt or fear of the surgery itself.

I can tell you, though, that having the VSG is the best, smartest decision I have ever made in my life. I am off all medications for weight-related physical ailments and no longer need a CPAP for sleep apnea. I have not one tiny regret. I started the process at 242 (I am 5'3") and am now at 148.2 pounds, and I am not done. I can even RUN now! Granted my stamina needs some work, but I can run! Surgery will change your life for the better and the way the changes make you feel can't be described. I hope you succeed no matter what you decide to do :)

Katie
VSG 12/4/15
RNY 6/18/24

CoachB
on 3/13/17 11:01 am
VSG on 11/17/16

I felt the exact same way. I though to myself man what am I going to be giving up being able to eat out with family and my love for food. The food was what was limiting me, it was running me and not me it. The food was my crutch, my dealer, my pimp and whatever else you want to call it. I was living to eat not eating to live. I did the two for one special as I call it, I wanted to quit chewing tobacco and also lose the weight. I convinced myself that once I had the surgery I could not do the tobacco and I would also be losing weight. Guess what? I did it. I had the surgery in Nov 16 and took my last dip of snuff Nov 1, 2016. Was it tough? Yes, however I never said to myself what did you do are you crazy? I'm loving life right now. I'm down almost 70lbs, 2lbs to go, and shooting for 100 by June or at least to get under 300, I started at 386. You can do this pray and seek yourself and your beliefs and you can do it. Prayers for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics