Picky eater needing new protein ideas!

kelliej806
on 3/8/17 6:57 pm - IA
VSG on 02/04/14

help! I'm a picky eater (things like tofu, salmon, and almonds seriously make me gag), but I am in desperate need for some new protein ideas. There are only so many egg beaters, tuna, and chicken breasts I can eat! Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 3/8/17 7:21 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Cow? Pig?

What is it about those things that make you gag? The taste? The texture? Have you tried them recently - I ask because sometimes tastes can change when we're not paying attention. I used to hate shrimp and now I think they're great. So weird. I still think of myself as someone who hates shrimp.

What have you tried?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kelliej806
on 3/8/17 8:10 pm - IA
VSG on 02/04/14

Most things are the taste, and only some are the texture and smell. I have never been much of a meat eater (self proclaimed carb-ivore), but I could up the beef and pork a bit.

Gwen M.
on 3/9/17 4:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Maybe other fish? Tilapia, cod, haddock, mahi-mahi, I can't think of the other ones that are readily available at my store, but there are a bunch. Chicken thighs vs. chicken breasts. Beans, cheese. Sausages.

My partner is picky, but for him it's mostly textures and bad experiences in his youth. It's more of a drag for him than it is for me, the cook... but after 20 years he actually likes some things he didn't used to like, which is awesome :D Fish, though? He can't stand fish. So whenever he's out of town for business, I make fish all week :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anita
on 3/8/17 7:46 pm

Hi Kellie,

I feel your pain...I can be pretty picky myself and since my surgery in June, I've gone back and forth with all sorts of stuff. I've hated (no, that's not strong enough....I have totally detested) cottage cheese my entire life but for a month after my vsg, I couldn't get enough of it...........now I'm back to looking at and it turns my stomach....I have no idea why. I've always hated (not detested) the texture of puddings and yogurt....now I like yogurt, but not all the time. There's no way I'll ever eat tofu......I know people who think it's the greatest thing on earth, but taste, texture, etc are and have always been a turn off for me - I can't explain it other than to say....yes, I'm picky!!!

I happen to love salmon, almonds and tuna, so I can't really help you there. I do consume a good deal of cheese and my go-to snack is string cheese or cheddar cheese. I also make my own jerky for my other go-to snack and actually just put some in my dehydrator a little while ago. Wendy's chili is good in a pinch, but I also make my own so that I know exactly what is and what isn't in it.

On days when I'm concerned about not getting in enough protein, my Premier chocolate or vanilla shake works. I'm not big on breakfasts because my whole life, for some reason, my stomach doesn't particularly always like solid food first thing in the morning. I put the shake in my Magic Bullet with blueberries and / or strawberries (in the vanilla) and some PB Fit (powdered peanut butter) (in the chocolate) and that gives me 30g of protein to be off to a good start. Many times I'll drink the chocolate on it's own with no extras. Also, if I'm hungry (which is very rare), I'll toss in a few ice cubes and the shake gets extra thick which means that it could take me as much as an hour to fini**** because half way through I'm full.

There's a blog....I think it's The World According to Egg Face....sorry, I can never remember the exact name, but someone here will definitely give it to you - I just have it saved as one of my favorite sites and that's why I can't remember it and besides that, I'm old (that's my go-to excuse when I forget things)......anyway, she has some really good recipes on there that might appeal to you.

I'm not really good with recipes and I'm happy to keep things simple. I live alone and cooking for one is a pain because I'm generally not fond of leftovers. When I go to a restaurant, I immediately ask for a take out container and then put at least 2/3 or more of my meal in there before I start eating. When I get home, I generally cut it up into 2 or 3 servings and freeze them that way.....and usually don't keep them more than 2 weeks. Also, when my boyfriend and I go out, we order one meal and then I take my 1/4 or 1/3 and he has the rest.....no leftovers for me to worry about and he's losing a little weight too.

Those are my so-called words of wisdom for tonight......I hope to have been able to help you at least a little bit. I know plenty of others will add information, so you should be able to incorporate some or all of it!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

kelliej806
on 3/8/17 8:12 pm - IA
VSG on 02/04/14

Nice to know I'm not the only picky one around here! :) All great ideas, thank you!

DianaPrince
on 3/11/17 8:18 am
On March 9, 2017 at 3:46 AM Pacific Time, Anita wrote:

Hi Kellie,

I feel your pain...I can be pretty picky myself and since my surgery in June, I've gone back and forth with all sorts of stuff. I've hated (no, that's not strong enough....I have totally detested) cottage cheese my entire life but for a month after my vsg, I couldn't get enough of it...........now I'm back to looking at and it turns my stomach....I have no idea why. I've always hated (not detested) the texture of puddings and yogurt....now I like yogurt, but not all the time. There's no way I'll ever eat tofu......I know people who think it's the greatest thing on earth, but taste, texture, etc are and have always been a turn off for me - I can't explain it other than to say....yes, I'm picky!!!

I happen to love salmon, almonds and tuna, so I can't really help you there. I do consume a good deal of cheese and my go-to snack is string cheese or cheddar cheese. I also make my own jerky for my other go-to snack and actually just put some in my dehydrator a little while ago. Wendy's chili is good in a pinch, but I also make my own so that I know exactly what is and what isn't in it.

On days when I'm concerned about not getting in enough protein, my Premier chocolate or vanilla shake works. I'm not big on breakfasts because my whole life, for some reason, my stomach doesn't particularly always like solid food first thing in the morning. I put the shake in my Magic Bullet with blueberries and / or strawberries (in the vanilla) and some PB Fit (powdered peanut butter) (in the chocolate) and that gives me 30g of protein to be off to a good start. Many times I'll drink the chocolate on it's own with no extras. Also, if I'm hungry (which is very rare), I'll toss in a few ice cubes and the shake gets extra thick which means that it could take me as much as an hour to fini**** because half way through I'm full.

There's a blog....I think it's The World According to Egg Face....sorry, I can never remember the exact name, but someone here will definitely give it to you - I just have it saved as one of my favorite sites and that's why I can't remember it and besides that, I'm old (that's my go-to excuse when I forget things)......anyway, she has some really good recipes on there that might appeal to you.

I'm not really good with recipes and I'm happy to keep things simple. I live alone and cooking for one is a pain because I'm generally not fond of leftovers. When I go to a restaurant, I immediately ask for a take out container and then put at least 2/3 or more of my meal in there before I start eating. When I get home, I generally cut it up into 2 or 3 servings and freeze them that way.....and usually don't keep them more than 2 weeks. Also, when my boyfriend and I go out, we order one meal and then I take my 1/4 or 1/3 and he has the rest.....no leftovers for me to worry about and he's losing a little weight too.

Those are my so-called words of wisdom for tonight......I hope to have been able to help you at least a little bit. I know plenty of others will add information, so you should be able to incorporate some or all of it!

Awesome tips..thank you!!!

rocky513
on 3/8/17 7:52 pm - WI

Shrimp, cheese sticks, beef or turkey jerky, bacon, cold cuts, home made meatballs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, microwaved pepperoni chips or microwaved cheese crisps (they get crunchy like chips but make sure you pat them with a paper towel for grease), mini crustless quiche (freeze great)

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kelliej806
on 3/8/17 8:14 pm - IA
VSG on 02/04/14

Cheese crisps? That sounds wonderful! I've seen a few recipes for crustless quiche that I keep forgetting about, thanks for the reminder! :)

rocky513
on 3/9/17 6:01 am - WI

Link to a video how to make cheese crisps. You can make them with slices of cheese instead of shredded cheese too. You just have to microwave them a little longer.

I make crustless mini quiches in muffin tins and freeze them. They go from the freezer to the microwave and in a few minutes you have a meal. They are a great grab and go if you are running out the door in the morning for work because you can eat them in the car (no silverware requires). Better than a donut.... right?

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics