Surgery Thursday.....Ball of emotions

Mommy2bad
on 3/7/17 4:16 pm
VSG on 03/09/17

I have been lurking and reading post and well with my surgery actually in 2 days I thought I would join in. I am so excited but scared, nervous and everything else all balled up. The clear liquid diet has been rough but I have done it as I know its the beginning of this journey. Any advise and words of wisdom is appreciated. I have had major push back from my parents but my husband and kids are very supportive. I am just ready to be the weight I was well before I can remember being a healthy weight. Looking forward to this journey and getting to you know guys.

Rachel B.
on 3/7/17 4:22 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Welcome. Coming up to surgery is so exciting, and scary, and thrilling! I hear a lot of people say put fresh sheets on the bed before you go to the hospital so you have fresh sheets to come home to. I can't remember if I did that, but its a great idea! Get ready for a nice nap. When you wake up, don't hesitate to ask for pain meds, and sleeping meds at night if you need them (I needed them despirately- bad bed). The other things you will need to do is walk a lot to get your bowels moving again after the anesthesia, and sip water frequently to keep hydrated. You will have an IV at the hospital, but your #1 job once you leave the hospital will be to keep hydrated, which means sipping tha****er. A lot more suggestions will be coming. Good luck!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Mommy2bad
on 3/7/17 5:27 pm
VSG on 03/09/17

Thank you so much! Great advice

Readyjwc
on 3/7/17 5:29 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Welcome!

The best advice I can give you is:

Get up and walk as soon as you can after surgery. Have to get rid of gas.

Sip, sip, sip, water. Remember - water is important at first. Protein is secondary.

Don't weigh yourself right away as you will probably see a gain because of IV fluids etc.

Take things slow - it is major surgery. Remember, it's only a small step in this whole process. It does get better.

Have sugar free jello, pudding, popsicles on hand for when you get home.

If things don't seem right - call your surgeon.

If you have a question - silly or not - ask us.

Your feelings are normal - we all went through the jitters and excitement.

I'll see you on the loser's bench soon.

Take care.

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Mommy2bad
on 3/8/17 10:50 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Thank you so much I welcome any and all advise. Hard to believe its finally here.

reree6898
on 3/8/17 8:09 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Welcome to the site. I too was a nervous ball of emotions prior to surgery, that is totally normal. Like the others have said walk as soon as you can and as much as you can stand when surgery is over. For me I had a hard time with the protein shakes for a bit and I found it was best for me to get the premade ones and pour it over ice to thin it a bit. Also you may feel extra emotional the first few weeks after surgery and that too is very normal. I have zero regrets about having the surgery and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Best of luck to you!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Mommy2bad
on 3/8/17 10:52 am
VSG on 03/09/17

Thank you and I can understand how emotions can be a factor. Just this week has been a roller coaster. But I am ready for the journey

LifeIsAwesome
on 3/8/17 8:13 am
VSG on 02/15/17

I am 3 weeks out from surgery. I literally had no pain or gas from the surgery, just a little soreness. I was though very nauseous for 3 days. In the hospital, I just concentrated on sipping water and walking. Most important thing to remember, is everyone reacts differently. Follow your surgeon's instructions as every surgeon is different. There is no need to worry - it will be a little uncomfortable - but the outcome is so worth it!

Mommy2bad
on 3/8/17 10:47 am
VSG on 03/09/17
On March 8, 2017 at 4:13 PM Pacific Time, LifeIsAwesome wrote:

I am 3 weeks out from surgery. I literally had no pain or gas from the surgery, just a little soreness. I was though very nauseous for 3 days. In the hospital, I just concentrated on sipping water and walking. Most important thing to remember, is everyone reacts differently. Follow your surgeon's instructions as every surgeon is different. There is no need to worry - it will be a little uncomfortable - but the outcome is so worth it!

Thank you so much that is very encouraging! Im ready to roll!

CC C.
on 3/8/17 9:21 am

I can only echo what everyone else has said, so I'll just wish you the best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics