Diet questions from a newbie

KittyKarin
on 3/1/17 5:49 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Sounds pretty good to me.  I really didn't focus on really anything but protein on the first weeks after surgery.  I looked back at My Fitness Pal also for about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery and some days I did 300 to 400 calories and other days I was up to 700.  I think anywhere within that range works as long as you are getting your protein and fluids. 

Good luck! #soontobeGastricSleevePro :-) 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Stacy_WLS
on 3/1/17 6:23 am

Yes agree with others on here.  I don't think I was ever given 400 as a calorie target.  600 was the lowest I think for me and I quickly moved to 800.  

Very early on hitting 600 didn't happen, but after 2-3 weeks you should be able to get there.  

60 -80 grams of protein is a great target early.  You will be doing great if you can get there!  Enjoy the soup.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Fredbear
on 3/1/17 7:13 am
VSG on 11/29/16

You should reach out to your surgeon's office and ask this question to his registered dietician. Everyone here can only relay what their own plans were from their own surgeon.

My surgeon's plan has no liquid or mushy stages; I was eating solid food at one week, and I fluctuated between 600-800 calories a day for the first two months. Other people here will undoubtedly say that they had 2 weeks of liquids, a month of mushy foods, etc. The point is all doctors have different plans for you to follow, and you should ask important questions like this to them, not us.

Plus, what does your post-op instructions say? I have an inch-thick patient education 3-ring binder that my surgeon gave me before surgery that has all the diet, exercise, etc. information that I would possibly need to be aware of.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

MonaLyssa33
on 3/1/17 8:09 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

My nutritionist's requirements are pretty lax. I asked about calorie intake and she said that they aren't concerned so much by that and would prefer I focus on getting in 1/4 cup of protein, then 1/4 cup of veggies or fruits. I haven't officially gotten to the soft food stage, but I have had regular foods a bit already.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics